"Stein am Rhein and it's frescoes" Top 5 Page for this destination Stein am Rhein by amsterdam_vallon
Stein am Rhein Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 174 photos
The Romans gave early affirmation of the strategic and commercial value of the location by building a settlement on the left bank of the Rhein. One day this place would be called Stein am Rhein, which literally, means "stone on the Rhein." Its fortunes have always been inexorably linked with location - where the Rhein courses from Lake of Constance (the Bodensee) toward the Rheinfall, about twelve miles downstream at Schaffhausen.
After taking the bridge over the Rhein, you will entering the old town. Around the Rathausplatz, you can see some 7-8 1500's historic buildings with painted facades.
These paintings, some biblical or historical in nature depict tales of wine, vineyards, crafts, festivals and a full range of human conditions. Themes vary from history or mythology, commerce or warfare to morality. Originally, the wealthy residents of these decidedly upscale dwellings had these frescoes applied as highly visible testimony to their affluence.
- Pros:Unbeliveable old square!
- Cons:1 000 000 tourists a year...
Follow this link if you want to see more pics of Stein am Rhein : Give me more of Stein am Rhein... more travel advice
Impressively, slate framework construction with plank stand wall at the west side; outwardly since 1662 few... more travel advice
amsterdam_vallon's Related Pages
Stein am Rhein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "örlikins geht nach Stein am Rhein"
- "Gateway to Switzerland"
- "S t e i n Am R h e i n"
- "Stein am Rhein and it's frescoes"
- "Delightful village"
- "Stein am Rhein - Stone at the Rhine"
- "A place once visited, never forgotten"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stein am Rhein
- Hotels in Stein am Rhein
- Transportation in Stein am Rhein
- Restaurants in Stein am Rhein
- Shopping in Stein am Rhein
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stein am Rhein
- 16 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Stein am Rhein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stein am Rhein
Photos in Stein am RheinSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 75 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lucerne Intro, 28 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympia Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Delphi Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Meteora Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Intro, 29 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Gallen Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Essaouira Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greece Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues