"Sanctuary of Asklepios at Ancient Epidaurus" Epidaurus by amsterdam_vallon
Epidaurus Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 176 photos
The Sanctuary of Asklepios at Epidaurus was the most celebrated healing centre of the ancient world.
The cult is attested as early as the 6th century B.C. when the hill-top sanctuary of Apollo Maleatas was no longer spacious enough for the public worship of the Epidaurus city-state. The authority and radiance of Asklepios as the most important healer god of antiquity, brought to the sanctuary great financial prosperity, which in the 4th and 3rd centuries B.C. enabled the implementation of an ambitious building program for the construction of monumental buildings for the worship. There are many architectural monuments in the area such as the Temple of Apollo Maleata (where the faithful washed their hands and made their first sacrifice), the Tholon (a place of worship), the Avaton (where patients would spend the night seeing visions of Asklepeios in their dreams and thus become cured). Outside the enclosure stood the dwellings of the priests, the doctors, a gymnasium, baths etc.The Asklepieion survived until the end of antiquity, having experienced a second heyday in the 2nd century A.D.
The monument you can't miss is the Theater.
This site is under the autority of the Unesco World Heritage.
This is the mission of this organisation:
Protecting natural and cultural properties of outstanding
universal value against the threat of damage in a rapidly developing world.
Welcome to the World Heritage
- In a nutshell:You can't missed the Theater
Two ramps on either side led to the stage while monumental double gates stood at the two entrances. more travel advice
For more than forty years, the Epidaurus Festival has re-created ancient Greek classics at the beautiful and... more travel advice
amsterdam_vallon's Related Pages
Epidaurus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sanctuary&Theatre in Epidaurus"
- "Theatre and Healing"
- "Epidaurus - the harmony of nature and architecture"
- "There are three Epidaure"
- "The best theatre in the world"
- "Sanctuary of Asklepios at Ancient Epidaurus"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Epidaurus
- Hotels in Epidaurus
- Transportation in Epidaurus
- Restaurants in Epidaurus
- Shopping in Epidaurus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Epidaurus
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Epidaurus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Epidaurus
Photos in EpidaurusSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 75 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lucerne Intro, 28 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Olympia Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Delphi Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Meteora Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Intro, 29 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Gallen Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Essaouira Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greece Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues