Mycenae Things to Do Tips by amsterdam_vallon
Mycenae Things to Do: 66 reviews and 120 photos
Mycenea Archaeological Museum
Not a very big collection, but worth a quick visit.
The Treasury of Atreus
It is the most impressive of the preserved Mycenaean tholos tombs, situated at Mycenae, on Panagitsa hill.
The walls of the chamber and the long dromos (36 m. long and 6 m. wide) are lined with conglomerate ashlar blocks. The tholos or round chamber (h. 13.20 m., diam. 14.20 m.) is roofed with a conical corbel vault, having the shape of an old-fashioned beehive. A distinctive feature of the tomb is the side-chamber hewn in the rock (6 x 6 x 5 m.).
The rich sculptured and painted decoration that once ornamented the facade (10.50 x 6 m.) is not preserved on the monument. Between two half-columns of green stone with carved motifs, the entrance (5.40 x 2.45-2.70 m.) had a wooden double door set in the inner side of the long stomion (5.40 m. long) which was sealed with accumulated stones. A decorated plaque was placed on the "relieving triangle" over the lintel, which was made of two enormous granite slabs (the inner measuring 8 x 5 x 1.50 m.).
The "Treasure of Atreus" was constructed in ca. 1250 B.C. and was in use for a long period, not precisely defined.
From November 1st to March 31: Daily: 08:30 - 15:00, Monday: closed
From July 1st to October 31: Daily: 08.30 - 15.00, Monday: closed
Reconstuction of Mycenae
Mycenae, the legendary home of the Atreides, is situated upon a small hill-top on the lower slopes of Euboea Mountain, between two of its peaks, on the road leading from the Argolic Gulf to the north (Corinth, Athens, etc.).
Opening hours : 8:00 - 19:00 (summer) and 8:00 - 17:00 (winter)
Entry Fee: 6 euro
Directions: 2km north of Mykines
Phone: 0751 76585
More Reviews (1)
amsterdam_vallon's Related Pages
Mycenae Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ancient Mycenae"
- "A famous ancient city..."
- "Sharrie's Mykinai Mycenae"
- "THE ANCIENT ACROPOLIS OF MYCENAE"
- "Agamemnon's Citadel"
- "The Great Mycenae Acropolis"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mycenae
- Hotels in Mycenae
- Transportation in Mycenae
- Restaurants in Mycenae
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kampong Java Park Hotels
- Île Denis Hotels
- Japanese Alps Hotels
- Reading Hotels
Badges & Stats in Mycenae
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Mycenae?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mycenae
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 75 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lucerne Intro, 28 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympia Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Delphi Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Meteora Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Intro, 29 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Gallen Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Essaouira Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greece Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
Latest Mycenae hotel reviews
- Hotel Belle Helene
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 6, 2013