"Essaouira or Mogador" Essaouira by amsterdam_vallon
Essaouira Travel Guide: 526 reviews and 1,460 photos
Essaouira has been visited by traders for hundreds of years.
Caravans are known to have brought ivory and gold dust here from Sub-Saharan Africa since the 11th century.
Essaouira had also been, from time to time, a favored private baunt.
The Portuguese built a fort here in 1506.
The town you see today was founded in 1785; it was built according to the plans of the French engineer corunt, imprisoned during the reign of Mohammed Ben Abdullah. It is for these reasons that, in contrast to other Moroccan medinas, the main roads here run straight and at right angles.
After the closing of the harbor at Agadir, Mogador gained in importance. Many Jewish merchants settled here. The caravans from Timbuktu brought ivory and gold in exchange for leather salt and sugar.
Consequently, when the French occupied Timbuktu early in the 20th century, Essaouira lost its eminence as a center for trade.
When you come to Essaouira you can see the tall house paint in white with blue doors.
Essaouira has a nice little collection of sights. None impressive, but all of great aesthetical value. The walled white town, the ramparts, the harbour and the streets of craftsmen working behind open doors.
2- The Sqala
3- The Port
4- The Medina
5- The Ancient Mellah
6- Notre-Dame church
7- The Beach
8- The Damgaard Gallery
Follow this link for a virtual visit of Essaouira : Follow the Guide
The Medina of Essaouira (formely Mogador) is under the autority of the Unesco World Heritage.
This is the mission of this organisation:
Protecting natural and cultural properties of outstanding
universal value against the threat of damage in a rapidly developing world.
- In a nutshell:Favorite morrocan place for windsurf
The Essaouira beach is one of the best I saw during my trip to morocco. The sand is great and the beach is so big! more travel advice
In morocco, every city has is own city walls. Those of Essaouira are very impressive. The red color make a great... more travel advice
amsterdam_vallon's Related Pages
Essaouira Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A clean city"
- "Essaouira pronounced Essa wera!"
- "Don't ask me if pigs fly in Morocco :-)"
- "Essaouira on the coast"
- "Essaouira: Hippy Paradise & World Heritage Site"
- "Living the dream"
- "Essaouira Attractions."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Essaouira
- Hotels in Essaouira
- Transportation in Essaouira
- Nightlife in Essaouira
- Restaurants in Essaouira
- Shopping in Essaouira
- Warnings and Dangers in Essaouira
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Essaouira
- 19 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Essaouira?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Essaouira
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 75 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lucerne Intro, 28 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympia Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Delphi Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Meteora Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Intro, 29 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Gallen Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Essaouira Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greece Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues