"Ouarzazate and the South Oasis Region" Top 5 Page for this destination Ouarzazate by amsterdam_vallon
Ouarzazate Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 467 photos
Ouarzazate, the " door of the desert ", was initially a garrison town. Its strategic position at the crossroads of the roads of Marrakech and Agadir, of the South and the East, decided its creation into 1928. It was to be an important place in the vast plan of pacification which had set up the Lyautey General.
City in Morocco with 40,000 inhabitants.
Ouarzazate is situated in the interior of the country, south of the High Atlas mountains, at an elevation of 1,135 metres.
Ouarzazate has been formed to become the centre of Sahara tourism, and the place has many luxury hotels. Ouarzazate has also served as the centre of international film makers, when shooting desert and semidesert scenes. Among famous films shot around Ouarzazate we find The Gladiator, Lawrence of Arabia and The Sheltering Sky. Ouarzazate has an international airport.
19th century: The Glaoui family gets control of the region, and settles in the Taourirt kasbah.
1928: Ouarzazate is established as a French garrison and administrative centre, right north of Taourirt.
The Draa Valley, is stretch from Ouarzazate in the south and to the Tafilalt Valley, south of Er-Rachidia are the two axes to join the Sahara.
Those two valley are join together by the Dades Valley who stretch on a desertic plateau for 120 km and at an altitude of 1 000 to 1 500m.
A good week is necessary to visit this region, taste the charm of the Oasis and visit some of the remarquable Ksour.
Ait Benhadou -3-
Boulmane du Dades -11-
El-Kelaa M'Gouna -10-
Dades Gorges -12-
Todra Gorges -14-
Ziz Gorges -18-
Jbel Sarhro -3-
Taourit Kasbah -2-
Tafilfalt Palm Groove -22-
Meski Blue Source -20-
Draa Valley -5-
Traditional fortress and palace of towns in pre-colonial North Africa.
The kasbah served as the seat of the local ruler, or feudal master, as well as the hiding place of the local population during attacks. The kasbah was constructed for defence, with high walls and with small or no windows at all. Often kasbahs exploited the terrain to make them easier to defend: they were situated on hill tops or near the approach to harbours.
Up until modern times all villages had each their kasbah, and the existence of a kasbah was a prerequisite for the survival of the village. In some areas, villages could be consisting of several kasbahs, this often expressing the wealth of individual families.
Kasbahs survived well into the time of colonization which started jin 1830 in northern Algeria, and finishing more than 100 years later in the Moroccan mountains.
- In a nutshell:Kasbah Country and the Door of the Desert!
Strange...very strange! Mars or the Moon?? On this picture : The road leading from Ouarzazate to the Draa valley... more travel advice
A can't miss!!! Situated in the High Atlas Mountains of southern Morocco the medieval fortress of Ait Benhaddou guarded... more travel advice
amsterdam_vallon's Related Pages
Ouarzazate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ouarzazate and the South Oasis Region"
- "Ouarzazate - The Door of The Desert"
- "Ouarzazate, kasbah's and the desert 2004"
- "Lovely city with plenty to do"
- "Between Palm Valleys"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ouarzazate
- Hotels in Ouarzazate
- Transportation in Ouarzazate
- Nightlife in Ouarzazate
- Restaurants in Ouarzazate
- Shopping in Ouarzazate
- Warnings and Dangers in Ouarzazate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ouarzazate
- 15 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Ouarzazate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ouarzazate
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 75 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lucerne Intro, 28 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Olympia Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Delphi Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Meteora Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Intro, 29 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Gallen Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Essaouira Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greece Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues