"Volubilis the great Roman city" Top 5 Page for this destination Volubilis by amsterdam_vallon
Volubilis Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 209 photos
It sits at an altitude of 400 meters on a triangular rich plain bordered on both sides by two small rivers (Oued Fertassa and Oued Khomane). Arabs call Volubilis "Oualili," "Oualila".
Volubilis grew and prospered from the third century B.C. to B.C. 40, under the successive rule of independent Mooorish Kings (Bocchus the Elder, Bogud I, Bogud II. From this period several monuments have been uncovered and identified; namely, temples in the Mauretanean -punic tradition and a mysterious tumulus. After the assassination of King Ptolemy in B.C. 40 by Caligula and the crushing of a revolt by Ademon in ancient Mauretania, Emperor Claudius annexed the region, dividing it into two parts: one to the West with Tingi (Tangier) as its capital, the other to the East with Caesara (in Algeria) as capital. Volubilis was then elevated to the rank of a municipality.
From 40 to 285, Volubilis expanded spectacularly. During the first century came the major urban structures, such as the spacious roads (Decumani and Cardines), and the public monuments (temples, thermal baths). The next century saw further developments in the urban tissue; most importantly, the wall surrounding the city was founded by Marcus Aurelius (168-169), together with the eight major gates linking the city to the outside world. The monument-filled center (the Forum, the Basilica, the Capitol, the Triumphal Arch) came about during the Severius dynasty, between 193 and 235. Also dating back to this period are the stately homes with perislyles and pools, the great mosaics (Orpheus Mosaics, the Works of Hercules, Diana's Bath, Neriedes are some of the well-preserved, much visited in-situ mosaics), numerous bakeries, and about one hundred oil presses attesting to the thriving economy of this roman outpost.
Go watch my Volubilis Monuments travelogue for a detail view of all the monuments of the site. Follow this link : Volubilis Monument
And don't miss my Volubilis Mosaic Travelogue to see what art was about in the roman times. Follow this link : Volubilis Mosaic
This site is under the autority of the Unesco World Heritage.
This is the mission of this organisation:
Protecting natural and cultural properties of outstanding
universal value against the threat of damage in a rapidly developing world.
Welcome to the World Heritage
- In a nutshell:Not a lot of tourist...but a lot to see!!!
Money is everything, like you all know. Be sure to check your ticket when you are paying at the counter. On this... more travel advice
HOTELS AND ALTERNATIVES No hotel, use Meknes as your base. RESTAURANTS AND ALTERNATIVES Expensive café at the entrance... more travel advice
Written Aug 7, 2003
Volubilis Monuments Travelogue
Written Aug 8, 2003
Volubilis Mosaics Travelogue
amsterdam_vallon's Related Pages
Volubilis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Volubilis - great "Leftovers" from the Roman times"
- "Volubuis, Roman Ghost Town in Morocco"
- "Volubilis the great Roman city"
- "UNESCO Heritage Site - Volubilis"
- "The anthic city of volubilis"
- "One of the most beautiful ancien Roman Sites"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Volubilis
- Hotels in Volubilis
- Transportation in Volubilis
- Restaurants in Volubilis
- Shopping in Volubilis
- Warnings and Dangers in Volubilis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Volubilis
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Volubilis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Volubilis
Photos in VolubilisSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 75 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lucerne Intro, 28 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fribourg Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympia Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Delphi Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Meteora Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Intro, 29 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Gallen Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Essaouira Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greece Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues