"Beautiful preserved Medieval town" Woudrichem by Britannia2
Woudrichem Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 72 photos
This is a beautiful medieval town that is in much of its original state and lies in the centre of Holland. Woudrichem is also one of the eleven official Dutch Fortress Towns: a series of strongholds that for centuries formed the so-called Holland Water Defence Line, which was a continuous strip of low-lying polder land stretching from the IJsselmeer to the river Merwede.
It was very much a ghost town when I visited for just over one hour one very dull early June afternoon - hardly anyone about and it seemed like a film set for a period drama awaiting the cast and film crews.
Woudrichem lies in the heart of the Netherlands at the point where the rivers Maas and Waal converge and continue as the river Merwede.
The Martinus church is known locally as the Mustard Pot because in 1574 when the town was occupied by the Spanish the... more travel advice
In 1998 work started to recreate the towns harbour to how it would have looked in 1650 including naturally overgrown... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Woudrichem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Short stop in Woudrichem"
- "Woudrichem - a small medieval town"
- "Beautiful preserved Medieval town"
- "A small medieval town"
- "Woudrichem, Loevestein and more"
- "A SPECIAL TRAVELOGUE ON : WOUDRICHEM......"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Woudrichem
- Hotels in Woudrichem
- Transportation in Woudrichem
- Restaurants in Woudrichem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Woudrichem
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Woudrichem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woudrichem
Photos in WoudrichemSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 186 reviews, 369 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 136 reviews, 239 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 87 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 74 reviews, 137 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 38 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos
- Bridlington Intro, 31 reviews, 57 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos