"Bakewell - our Peak District centre" Bakewell by Britannia2
Bakewell Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 228 photos
We were very impressed with Bakewell - I have made this the town we will class as our Peak District centre and although other towns abound across the Peak this is our favourite so most Peak District tips will centre on Bakewell although some places may not be too local as the area is small no where recommended is far away.
Bakewell is actually the only town in the Peak District National park - something not often known. It is located on the River Wye ( see photo above) and is just 13 miles south of Sheffield.
It is of course famous for Bakewell Pudding - another not often known fact is that it is not known for Bakewell tart which is of course something totally different.
It is a well laid out town based on just a few main streets with the market place in their middle making a common centre. As the photo shows even in April there are some good flower displays to be seen in the public seating areas.
This is a very good base to tour the Peak from - unfortunately there are no longer any trains to Bakewell as with the common shortsightedness of the Beeching cuts this tourist town lost its railway in 1968. However the county council have preserved the track bed and reopening by the Peak Rail company who are restoring a service around Matlock is a possibility one day.
Mondays are a particularly busy day - it is market day both for the cattle market and also the general market held in the town centre. Parking was a real problem on a Monday even with overflow parking and the day is best avoided if you do not mind missing the market.
- Pros:Beautiful riverside location amongst the Peaks hills
- Cons:Very heavy traffic through the town - parking difficult
- In a nutshell:The finest town in the Peak
Hrtington is a small Peak Distrcit village south of Bakewell ( go through Monyash). A pleasant village to stop in and... more travel advice
Bloomers is at Water Street in Bakewell - it is piled to its low beams with local pies, cheeses and meats and its... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Bakewell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bakewell, Home Of The Pudding"
- "Bakewell, home of the pudding! (NOT the tart!!)"
- "Baking in Bakewell"
- "CROWN OF THE PEAK"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bakewell
- Hotels in Bakewell
- Transportation in Bakewell
- Nightlife in Bakewell
- Restaurants in Bakewell
- Shopping in Bakewell
- Warnings and Dangers in Bakewell
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bakewell
- 10 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Bakewell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bakewell
Photos in BakewellSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 133 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 104 reviews, 182 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 71 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 78 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Whitby Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (26)
Latest Bakewell hotel reviews
- Castle Inn Bakewell
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Bagshaw Hall
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Hassop Hall Hotel
- 220 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- The Red Lion
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Riverside House Hotel
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- The Barn at Harthill Hall
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 2, 2013
- Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell
- 330 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- The Rutlands Arms Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion