"Quiet town on the Humber bank" Barton upon Humber by Britannia2
Barton upon Humber Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 29 photos
If you are in Hull and would like a ride across the Humber Bridge take a 350 bus (Scunthorpe bound) and afer an exhilerating ride across Englands longest suspension bridge get off in Barton on Humber. Spend half a day here before returning to Hull and you will have spent a pleasant few hours in this quiet town.
This is a nice town to wander around and although there is not a lot to see in the town the streets are interesting and there are some good eating places too.
The towns greatest asset is the river and the nature reserves on the waterfront.
The viewing point on the southern bank of the Humber affords good views of the Humber Bridge.
You can also get a good idea of just how wide the river is even at the point where it has been bridged.
The Humber Bridge did not open until 1981 and for Hull people like myself Lincolnshire may have been a million miles away - we only went there occasionally on the old ferry that crossed several times a day to New Holland.
Lincolnshire is very different to Yorkshire despite the short distance across the river and this is explained by the lack of a link until 1981.
This is a real shoppers town - there is a Tesco on the edge of the town centre and this does not seem to have harmed the town centre shops. So here is a town with very few empty shops and real shops such as gents outfitters, baby clothes shops, real butchers, fruit shops and shops that actually sell televisions.
Also you must book a table in any restaurant on a Saturday night as we found out one summer Saturday night recently.
- Pros:Pleasant town with great views of the Humber
- In a nutshell:Worth half a day of anyones time
Thornton, in North Lincolnshire, was one of Britain’s richest Augustinian abbeys by the late 13th century. It has the... more travel advice
Dating from the 12th century, with later additions, St Mary’s Church is one of North Lincolnshire’s most spectacular... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Barton upon Humber Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Barton upon Humber
- 12 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Barton upon Humber?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barton upon Humber
Photos in Barton upon HumberSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 135 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 122 reviews, 215 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 73 reviews, 137 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 80 reviews, 117 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos
- Northallerton Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos