"Beverley - county town of East Yorkshire" Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley by Britannia2
Beverley Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 160 photos
Beverley lies just 8 miles north of Hull and is easily reached by a regular train service on the Hull to Bridlington / Scarborough line.
The town centre is pleasant and good for shopping. There are plans to convert the main square to a continental style piazza and if this takes out some of the traffic from the town centre this is step in the right direction.
The town is dwarfed by the Minster ( a cathedral I guess) and there is some wonderful old architecture. The town is best seen on foot. For the best overall view of the town the view from the Westwood is a must.
St. John founded the Minster in 700 but the present church which is the third on this site dates from 1220.
It is rumoured that King Henry V came to give thanks after the Battle of Agincourt.
A survey by the Royal Bank of Scotland ( September 2007) has found that the town in the best place in the UK to lead an affordable affluent lifestyle. See the details at http://money.guardian.co.uk/property/story/0,,2161432,00.html
- Pros:A compact town made for walking
- Cons:Heavy traffic spoils the town
- In a nutshell:Well worth a days visit
Despite its appearance the Warton Arms is not actually an old English inn - it was built just a few years ago to replace... more travel advice
Built in 1711-1714, the cross was designed by Samuel Shelton of Wakefield. It bears the royal coat of arms, the symbol... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Beverley Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beverley - county town of East Yorkshire"
- "Slowly losing it's character"
- "Yorkshire's best kept secret?"
- "A Real Hidden Gem"
- "One of Britain's best kept jewels"
- "Beverley - Good For A One-Night Fling"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beverley
- Hotels in Beverley
- Transportation in Beverley
- Nightlife in Beverley
- Restaurants in Beverley
- Shopping in Beverley
- Warnings and Dangers in Beverley
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beverley
- 32 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Beverley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beverley
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 134 reviews, 266 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 111 reviews, 192 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 71 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 78 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 32 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Whitby Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos