"Beverley - county town of East Yorkshire" Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley by Britannia2
Beverley Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 172 photos
Beverley lies just 8 miles north of Hull and is easily reached by a regular train service on the Hull to Bridlington / Scarborough line.
The town centre is pleasant and good for shopping. There are plans to convert the main square to a continental style piazza and if this takes out some of the traffic from the town centre this is step in the right direction.
The town is dwarfed by the Minster ( a cathedral I guess) and there is some wonderful old architecture. The town is best seen on foot. For the best overall view of the town the view from the Westwood is a must or as shown here from the bridge at Beveley Beck.
St. John founded the Minster in 700 but the present church which is the third on this site dates from 1220.
It is rumoured that King Henry V came to give thanks after the Battle of Agincourt.
A survey by the Royal Bank of Scotland ( September 2007) has found that the town in the best place in the UK to lead an affordable affluent lifestyle. See the details at http://money.guardian.co.uk/property/story/0,,2161432,00.html
This is an affluent town - at the time of writing this (May 2015) there are no empty shops and this is the best place to shop in East Yorkshire.
Booking a restaurant for a Saturday night meal is a must (even Pizza Express) and the warnings on some long outdated VT pages about drunks in the town are now an exaggeration.
- Pros:A compact town made for walking
- Cons:Heavy traffic spoils the town
- In a nutshell:Well worth a days visit
On the B1230 at North Cave (8 miles south of Beverley) is the Yorkshire Wildlife Trusts wetland nature reserve, This is... more travel advice
This is a very pleasant park in woodland and rolling hills with three lakes that are used for fishing. There is a folly... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Beverley Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beverley - county town of East Yorkshire"
- "Slowly losing it's character"
- "Yorkshire's best kept secret?"
- "A Real Hidden Gem"
- "One of Britain's best kept jewels"
- "Beverley - Good For A One-Night Fling"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beverley
- Hotels in Beverley
- Transportation in Beverley
- Nightlife in Beverley
- Restaurants in Beverley
- Shopping in Beverley
- Warnings and Dangers in Beverley
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beverley
- 38 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Beverley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beverley
- Posted in Travel Stonehenge Forum "Re: Traveling to London and Paris..."
- updated a Beverley Travel Page "Beverley - county town of East Yorkshire"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beverley - county town of East Yorkshire"
- Wrote a Review North Cave Wetlands in Beverley Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of Britannia2's Beverley tips
Photos in BeverleySee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 186 reviews, 369 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 136 reviews, 239 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 87 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 74 reviews, 137 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 38 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos
- Bridlington Intro, 31 reviews, 57 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos