"Beverley - county town of East Yorkshire" Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley by Britannia2
Beverley Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 171 photos
Beverley lies just 8 miles north of Hull and is easily reached by a regular train service on the Hull to Bridlington / Scarborough line.
The town centre is pleasant and good for shopping. There are plans to convert the main square to a continental style piazza and if this takes out some of the traffic from the town centre this is step in the right direction.
The town is dwarfed by the Minster ( a cathedral I guess) and there is some wonderful old architecture. The town is best seen on foot. For the best overall view of the town the view from the Westwood is a must.
St. John founded the Minster in 700 but the present church which is the third on this site dates from 1220.
It is rumoured that King Henry V came to give thanks after the Battle of Agincourt.
A survey by the Royal Bank of Scotland ( September 2007) has found that the town in the best place in the UK to lead an affordable affluent lifestyle. See the details at http://money.guardian.co.uk/property/story/0,,2161432,00.html
This is an affluent town - at the time of writing this (May 2015) there are no empty shops and this is the best place to shop in East Yorkshire.
Booking a restaurant for a Saturday night meal is a must (even Pizza Express) and the warnings on some long outdated VT pages about drunks in the town are now an exaggeration.
- Pros:A compact town made for walking
- Cons:Heavy traffic spoils the town
- In a nutshell:Well worth a days visit
Just outside Beverley, at Fimber, is the headquarters of the Yorkshire Wolds Railway (YWR). The aim of the YWR is to... more travel advice
The Guildhall was built in 1501 and a courtroom was added in 1762 - the courtroom was used by the BBC to film the court... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Beverley Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beverley - county town of East Yorkshire"
- "Slowly losing it's character"
- "Yorkshire's best kept secret?"
- "A Real Hidden Gem"
- "One of Britain's best kept jewels"
- "Beverley - Good For A One-Night Fling"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beverley
- Hotels in Beverley
- Transportation in Beverley
- Nightlife in Beverley
- Restaurants in Beverley
- Shopping in Beverley
- Warnings and Dangers in Beverley
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beverley
- 37 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Beverley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beverley
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 179 reviews, 351 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 130 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 85 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 74 reviews, 137 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 37 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos
- Northallerton Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos