"The Venice of the Cotswolds" Bourton on the Water by Britannia2
Bourton on the Water Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 195 photos
On my visit to the Cotswolds and I came across what I think must be England's prettiest village. It is easy to see why it is called the Venice of the Cotswolds - the small River Windrush flows through the village and is crossed by small picturesque bridges. The village is popular with people from all over the world - there were many Japanese people there on the day of my visit. Full of cafes, restaurants and gift shops it not a cheap and nasty tourist village and despite the crowds has a wonderful atmosphere.
A very disabled friendly village.
Without the River Windrush the village would be nothing and the photo shows the river out in the country just outside the village.
There is a walk along the river that can me made - the entrance is through a gate off Sherbourne Street and the walk is marked with a brown sign.
The river flows through the village and is crossed by bridges that take cars and people across it at regular intervals. The banks on the north side are grassed and suitable for picnics and the bank on the other side is a pedestrains only walk way and it is here you will find gift shops and tea shops galore.
The village has resisted having national chain stores and the tea shops, gift shops and local stores are owned and operated by local people.
There is a small Somerfield food store but all other shops are locally owned.
- Pros:A tourist village with class
- In a nutshell:Very picturesque
New for 2012 is a ticket that gives unlimited travel on local buses and trains. Unlimited rail travel is allowed on the... more travel advice
If you walk down Sherbourne Street there is a tourist sign on the right of the street ( approximately 200 yards down the... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Bourton on the Water Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Classic Cotswolds"
- "Beautiful Bourton"
- "Bourton...four villages in one."
- "A very pretty place......."
- "Bourton on the Water"
- "Bourton-on-the-Water and attractions."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bourton on the Water
- Hotels in Bourton on the Water
- Transportation in Bourton on the Water
- Restaurants in Bourton on the Water
- Shopping in Bourton on the Water
- Warnings and Dangers in Bourton on the Water
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bourton on the Water
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Bourton on the Water?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bourton on the Water
Photos in Bourton on the WaterSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 133 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 104 reviews, 182 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 71 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 78 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Whitby Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (26)
Latest Bourton on the Water hotel reviews
- Duke of Wellington
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Broadlands Guest House
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Old Manse Hotel
- 321 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Harrington House
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Dial House Hotel
- 249 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013