"Bridlington - resort with potential" Bridlington by Britannia2
Bridlington Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 53 photos
Bridlington was one of England's popular holiday resorts ruined by cheap foreign packages to Spain in the 1960s and is only just slowly recovering in 2011 thanks to some forward thinking people.
Its very much a retirement town ( it is called Leeds on Sea because of all the Leeds people who come to retire here) but very much a day trip town or weekend break town.
Everything is here though - a good beach , a harbour , boats , a reasonable shopping centre and at long last some vision of the future with plans for a marina. The new promenade developments are very good but the town has suffered in the recession and there are more than the average number of boarded up businesses.
Look at the photos on these pages of the harbour and look how run down it looks. There is certainly a lot of interest in the harbour - there is still a small fishing fleet and assorted boats and yachts but look at the containers and general rubbish in some of the photos! The local council and business leaders have proposed a marina that will improve the harbour area, bring new jobs and attract more visitors but the Harbour Commissioners have blocked the plans.
Without the marina Bridlington will not move forwards but still stay as it is with only minor improvements such as the Spa development.
- Pros:Good beach on the south bay and always interest in the harbour
- Cons:A day trip town that needs to move upmarket ( and it will)
- In a nutshell:Desperately needs the marina development now
Sledmere is a Georgian House – and it is also an Edwardian House. Sir Christopher Sykes, 2nd baronet, rebuilt and... more travel advice
Leaving the harbour and walking north is a mixed bag of things to see. The rather tacky small funfair that was built... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Bridlington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "By the seaside"
- "Bridlington - resort with potential"
- "A typical Yorkshire seaside town"
- "Bridlington Piddlington"
- "I had to go - it was a work thing"
- "Bridlington, England"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bridlington
- Hotels in Bridlington
- Transportation in Bridlington
- Restaurants in Bridlington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bridlington
- 14 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Bridlington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bridlington
Photos in BridlingtonSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 134 reviews, 266 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 114 reviews, 203 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 71 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 78 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 32 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Whitby Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos