"Coal mining town becomes leisure town" Castleford by Britannia2
Castleford Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 22 photos
Castleford is an old town dating from Roman times with 38000 inhabitants. It was until the 1980s a coal mining town in the Yorkshire coal field but the collapse of this industry has seen the town move in a new direction - shopping and leisure on the outskirts of town.
The town itself is probably not worth a detour from the M62 but the area from the interchange at junction 32 definatly is.
- Pros:The town is reinventing itself - the facilities off junction 32 of the M62 are excellent
- Cons:A rather depressing town centre
- In a nutshell:An old mining area changing rapidly for the better.
Xscape is a new leisure facilty next to the Junction 32 shopping centre at junction 32 off the M62 are close to... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Castleford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Play, Eat and Shop!"
- "Coal mining town becomes leisure town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Castleford
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Castleford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castleford
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 133 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 104 reviews, 182 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 71 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 78 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Whitby Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos