"County town of Dorset" Dorchester by Britannia2
Dorchester Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 39 photos
A small town in the south of the county is home to the counties main hospital and council headquarters - Dorchester. A good town to visit for not only shopping but also several interesting attractions including a castle keep.
The main shopping area is pedestrianised and although busy easy to negotiate. As with most Dorset towns the traffic is horrendous and for some reason the park and ride service only operates on Wednesday.
As other pages by other members show this is Casterbridge - a home to the great English writer Thomas Hardy.
The buildings in Dorchester are generally pleasing - most of the town seems quite old but there are some newer gems such as the post office.
- Pros:Pleasant English market town with good shopping
- Cons:Heavy traffic spoils the town despite a by pass
- In a nutshell:A must see town in Dorset
If you are in Dorchster and want to explore north of Dorchester there is rover ticket called a Heart of Wessex Day... more travel advice
The main chains all have shops here - Waitrose, WHSmith, Boots, Woolworths, Marks and Spencer, The Works, Thorntons etc.... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Dorchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Beautiful Village of Dorchester-on-Thames"
- "A hommage to Thomas Hardy"
- "Dorchester on Thames, actually.............."
- "County town of Dorset"
- "Dorchester: Overlooked Little Burg"
- "The Maggots"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dorchester
- Hotels in Dorchester
- Transportation in Dorchester
- Restaurants in Dorchester
- Shopping in Dorchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Dorchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dorchester
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Dorchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dorchester
Photos in DorchesterSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 203 reviews, 401 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 140 reviews, 244 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 87 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 74 reviews, 137 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 45 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 30 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bridlington Intro, 33 reviews, 63 photos
- Isle of Skye Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos