"Does TV help or harm a village?" Top 5 Page for this destination Goathland by Britannia2
Goathland Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 80 photos
UK readers and readers from 38 other countries worldwide will know that the popular Heartbeat TV programme is filmed in Goathland. The last time I was here in 1986 it was a pleasant village with a few tourists about but its May 2006 and we can hardly move. There are people here from all over the world and its only May! What will the high summer be like? Parking is difficult, the shops and cafes are crowded and everyone is asking the local shop keepers news of the next series which was recently filmed here.
But don't be put off - my introduction sounds harsh but do visit. This is still a wonderful village and if you are local then visit out of season and leave it to people who can only come here in the summer. After all this really is a village that can be appreciated at anytime of the year.
Aidensfield, sorry Goathland, has certainly changed in 20 years. There is certainly more to see than there ever used to be and the number of places to eat is improved. Souveniers from the TV series are certainly good value for once as are the prices of most things in the shops- many local people have no doubt profited from Heartbeat but al least they are not cheating visitors.
For those who do not know Goathalnd is called Aidensfield in Heartbeat. This is the story of local people based around the local police officers and is set in what is eternally 1969. There are steam trains, bobbies on bikes, smoking allowed everywhere and anywhere and its nostalgia for an hour every Sunday night. I have never been sure how it translates to the 38 countries that buy it for their TV services but judging by Goathalnds visitors on a May visit they were from all over the world and here for the world of Heartbeat.
As the photo shows this must be the only post office in the UK with two names - Goathland and Aidensfield.
Our visit was on a warm May Tuesday afternoon in the May school holiday. Taking photos was difficult because of the crowds and as my photo here shows there was no respect for those of us taking photos. Now of course we were part of the crowd and perhaps I got in someones way - I must stress - try and visit out of season if you can.
- Pros:Beautiful village with a lot to see
- Cons:Ruined by excessive crowds. Perhaps some control is needed?
- In a nutshell:Do not miss this wonderful village - but do go out of season.
The World War 2 weekend is only one of the many events staged on the MYMR over the year. The NYMR is the best way to see... more travel advice
Mid October every year sees a wonderful weekend of nostalgia when the North Yorkshire Moors railway has a World War 2... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Goathland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Does TV help or harm a village?"
- "Goathland - Aidensfield by any other name!"
- "Goathland - Home of Heartbeat!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goathland
- Hotels in Goathland
- Transportation in Goathland
- Restaurants in Goathland
- Shopping in Goathland
- Warnings and Dangers in Goathland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goathland
- 9 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Goathland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goathland
Photos in GoathlandSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 203 reviews, 401 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 139 reviews, 243 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 87 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 74 reviews, 137 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 45 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 30 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bridlington Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos