"My favourite London village - Hampstead" Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead by Britannia2

Hampstead Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 321 photos

Harrogate comes to London

London is apparently made up of 27 London villages - Hampstead was originally a spa town in much the same way Harrogate in my native Yorkshire was, and is. Because of the diversity of London making regular visits to Hampstead through 2009 it looks and feels very much like Harrogate - at times only the red buses and the tube station tell me it isn't. Both have that air of respectability and a large village like appearance that is forever England of the past.
Unfortunately Hampstead gave up on the spa image many years ago but it still retains a spa town feel.

The village

Hampstead is a delightful London village that sits on a hill that is 440 feet (135 meters) above sea level. There has been a settlement here for over 1000 years and from the Middle Ages onwards Londoners have always come here to walk on the heath, take the waters or escape the bustle of the city below.
Poets such as Keats and Shelley and artists such as Constable and Romney established Hampstead as a Bohemian village and today it is still the home to actors, film stars and writers. Ricky Gervais lives near the Wells Tavern for example.

From 200 miles away

I love the Hampstead / Highgate area - I actually live 200 miles away in a small Yorkshire village but I read the local paper , Ham and High, each week on the internet.
Its strange showing friends from London around an area that is much closer to them than it is to me but I could easily live here. The only problem is that I could not even probably afford a shed here!

• Pros:Wonderful village atmosphere only 4 miles from St Pauls
  • Cons:Cafe / pub prices can be high
  • In a nutshell:An English village in NW3
  • Last visit to Hampstead: Aug 2015
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Colin - Thank you for your virtual tour and more importantly your actual guided tour of Hampstead a couple of months back now. Both very enjoyable.

• Britannia2's Profile Photo
      Sep 14, 2015 at 1:47 AM

I really enjoyed it - I am more or less sure I will be on the VT Australia meet and cruise next year so will see you again in 2016.

• wabat's Profile Photo
      Sep 14, 2015 at 3:54 AM

Look forward to it. Great news.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Colin, thanks for showing us around Hampstead on our walk four weeks ago. And thanks for having a look at my own modest Hampstead page.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2015 at 2:53 AM

Colin, I am glad you have done the important research for thirsty VT travellers here! And I agree with you, the 'themes' are really outdated. They don't even have Greek! Its from the original website. I think we need to get a forum going to get it changed and expanded. All the best.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2015 at 2:07 AM

Colin, excellent and comprehensive page about Hampstead here. Your page brings back memories of our adventures in this part of London last week.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Hi Colin
    What a lovely page, which brings back happy memories of my first Serious Boyfriend and I spending many happy hours walking on the Heath and then retiring to a hostelry for refreshment. More than half a lifetime ago, but they are among my happiest memories, so thank you for providing the opportunity to meander happily down Memory Lane!
    On a less happy note, I am devastated to discover that Jack Staw's Castle is a bloody health club - what a sad waste of a good watering hole!
    Next stop Hampstead when I get the time ...
    Regards
    Cathy

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2012 at 3:28 AM

I love Hampstead and have visited quite a few times, but I still learnt so much from your very comprehensive page!
    Good pub tips too. Like you I bemoan the fact that VT themes don't cover the gastro pub style (nor what I call "modern British") - much needed additions I think!

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2009 at 3:35 AM

Great tip on the Hampstead cemetery.

Britannia2 Visits Here Frequently!

Britannia2

“Whatever did we do before the internet?”

Badges & Stats in Hampstead

Have you been to Hampstead?

Latest Activity in Hampstead