"My favourite London village - Hampstead" Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead by Britannia2
Hampstead Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 321 photos
London is apparently made up of 27 London villages - Hampstead was originally a spa town in much the same way Harrogate in my native Yorkshire was, and is. Because of the diversity of London making regular visits to Hampstead through 2009 it looks and feels very much like Harrogate - at times only the red buses and the tube station tell me it isn't. Both have that air of respectability and a large village like appearance that is forever England of the past.
Unfortunately Hampstead gave up on the spa image many years ago but it still retains a spa town feel.
Hampstead is a delightful London village that sits on a hill that is 440 feet (135 meters) above sea level. There has been a settlement here for over 1000 years and from the Middle Ages onwards Londoners have always come here to walk on the heath, take the waters or escape the bustle of the city below.
Poets such as Keats and Shelley and artists such as Constable and Romney established Hampstead as a Bohemian village and today it is still the home to actors, film stars and writers. Ricky Gervais lives near the Wells Tavern for example.
I love the Hampstead / Highgate area - I actually live 200 miles away in a small Yorkshire village but I read the local paper , Ham and High, each week on the internet.
Its strange showing friends from London around an area that is much closer to them than it is to me but I could easily live here. The only problem is that I could not even probably afford a shed here!
- Pros:Wonderful village atmosphere only 4 miles from St Pauls
- Cons:Cafe / pub prices can be high
- In a nutshell:An English village in NW3
If you arrive in Hampstead by the Overground or bus 24 you arrive at this small square on the southern edge of Hampstead... more travel advice
This is one of only two large hotels in the Hampstead area of north London and is a good choice for a village location... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Hampstead Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My favourite London village - Hampstead"
- "So close and yet so far..."
- "Walking tour of Hampstead"
- "Hilly Hampstead"
- "The Heath and a whole lot more."
- "LONDON - HAMPSTEAD"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hampstead
- Hotels in Hampstead
- Transportation in Hampstead
- Nightlife in Hampstead
- Restaurants in Hampstead
- Shopping in Hampstead
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hampstead
- 30 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Hampstead?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hampstead
Photos in HampsteadSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 203 reviews, 401 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 140 reviews, 245 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 89 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 77 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 46 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Isle of Skye Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 30 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bridlington Intro, 33 reviews, 63 photos