"My favourite London village - Hampstead" Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead by Britannia2

Hampstead Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 206 photos

Harrogate comes to London

London is apparently made up of 27 London villages - Hampstead was originally a spa town in much the same way Harrogate in my native Yorkshire was, and is. Because of the diversity of London making regular visits to Hampstead through 2009 it looks and feels very much like Harrogate - at times only the red buses and the tube station tell me it isn't. Both have that air of respectability and a large village like appearance that is forever England of the past.
Unfortunately Hampstead gave up on the spa image many years ago but it still retains a spa town feel.

The village

Hampstead is a delightful London village that sits on a hill that is 440 feet (135 meters) above sea level. There has been a settlement here for over 1000 years and from the Middle Ages onwards Londoners have always come here to walk on the heath, take the waters or escape the bustle of the city below.
Poets such as Keats and Shelley and artists such as Constable and Romney established Hampstead as a Bohemian village and today it is still the home to actors, film stars and writers. Ricky Gervais lives near the Wells Tavern for example.

From 200 miles away

I love the Hampstead / Highgate area - I actually live 200 miles away in a small Yorkshire village but I read the local paper , Ham and High, each week on the internet.
Its strange showing friends from London around an area that is much closer to them than it is to me but I could easily live here. The only problem is that I could not even probably afford a shed here!

• Pros:Wonderful village atmosphere only 4 miles from St Pauls
  • Cons:Unaffordable property prices
  • In a nutshell:An English village in NW3
  • Last visit to Hampstead: Dec 2011
  • Intro Updated Feb 20, 2012

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Hi Colin
    What a lovely page, which brings back happy memories of my first Serious Boyfriend and I spending many happy hours walking on the Heath and then retiring to a hostelry for refreshment. More than half a lifetime ago, but they are among my happiest memories, so thank you for providing the opportunity to meander happily down Memory Lane!
    On a less happy note, I am devastated to discover that Jack Staw's Castle is a bloody health club - what a sad waste of a good watering hole!
    Next stop Hampstead when I get the time ...
    Regards
    Cathy

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2012 at 3:28 AM

I love Hampstead and have visited quite a few times, but I still learnt so much from your very comprehensive page!
    Good pub tips too. Like you I bemoan the fact that VT themes don't cover the gastro pub style (nor what I call "modern British") - much needed additions I think!

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2009 at 3:35 AM

Great tip on the Hampstead cemetery.

Britannia2 Visits Here Frequently!

Britannia2

“Whatever did we do before the internet?”

Badges & Stats in Hampstead

Have you been to Hampstead?

Latest Activity in Hampstead