"My favourite London village - Hampstead" Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead by Britannia2
Hampstead Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 194 photos
London is apparently made up of 27 London villages - Hampstead was originally a spa town in much the same way Harrogate in my native Yorkshire was, and is. Because of the diversity of London making regular visits to Hampstead through 2009 it looks and feels very much like Harrogate - at times only the red buses and the tube station tell me it isn't. Both have that air of respectability and a large village like appearance that is forever England of the past.
Unfortunately Hampstead gave up on the spa image many years ago but it still retains a spa town feel.
Hampstead is a delightful London village that sits on a hill that is 440 feet (135 meters) above sea level. There has been a settlement here for over 1000 years and from the Middle Ages onwards Londoners have always come here to walk on the heath, take the waters or escape the bustle of the city below.
Poets such as Keats and Shelley and artists such as Constable and Romney established Hampstead as a Bohemian village and today it is still the home to actors, film stars and writers. Ricky Gervais lives near the Wells Tavern for example.
I love the Hampstead / Highgate area - I actually live 200 miles away in a small Yorkshire village but I read the local paper , Ham and High, each week on the internet.
Its strange showing friends from London around an area that is much closer to them than it is to me but I could easily live here. The only problem is that I could not even probably afford a shed here!
- Pros:Wonderful village atmosphere only 4 miles from St Pauls
- Cons:Unaffordable property prices
- In a nutshell:An English village in NW3
The London Overground is a revamped and improved rail system that takes new electric trains around the London area -... more travel advice
I was intrigued to see a large viaduct take a wide path across a pond - I have found out that this viaduct was part of... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Hampstead Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "So close and yet so far..."
- "My favourite London village - Hampstead"
- "Hilly Hampstead"
- "The Heath and a whole lot more."
- "A place to do your celeb spotting"
- "Green and wealthy London"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hampstead
- Hotels in Hampstead
- Transportation in Hampstead
- Nightlife in Hampstead
- Restaurants in Hampstead
- Shopping in Hampstead
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hampstead
- 25 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Hampstead?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hampstead
- Posted in Travel Lincoln Forum "Re: Tell me about Lincoln"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Spa water and the spring in the village"
- Wrote a Review Train to Hampstead in Hampstead Transportation
- updated a Hampstead Travel Page "My favourite London village - Hampstead"
- Commented on one of jo104's Hampstead travel pages
Photos in HampsteadSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 133 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 104 reviews, 182 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 71 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 78 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Whitby Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos