"England's European gateway" Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull by Britannia2
Kingston upon Hull Travel Guide: 312 reviews and 533 photos
Kingston upon Hull - generally known at Hull - is a maritime city on the banks of the River Humber and where the River Hull that splits the city in half , meets the Humber.
Hull is one of Englands larger cities and rather isolated in its location but this is simply because the port was built close to the North Sea. Hull has a 7 mile waterfront and is one of Englands main ports with passenger ferries and cargo ships arriving and departing at all times.
There is something here for everyone - history, shopping, sport, culture and a wonderful geographic location. Please disregard some of the older VT pages here - they are so negative with no objective and outdated.
The main street as you walk from the railway station in to the shopping area. It is not so many years ago that heavy traffic roared down this street but it is now a precinct with outdoor cafes in the summer and plenty of seating areas .
Hull was badly bombed in the last war. It is relatively easy to see where the bombs did not fall as there are few old buildings in the main shopping area. Unfortunately the post war planners lacked some imagination or possibly a lack of money and it is only in the new century that finally some thought is going in to making this an attractive city.
There is a good amount of greenery in the centre of Hull. Queens Gardens are on the site of a dock that was filled in many years ago but now offer a pleasant area in the centre of the city. I have put more details in my following pages
The gardeners who work for the city council can be proud of their work all the year round - even in January there are flower displays in the centre and in the spring and summer the main roads and parks are full of colourful flowers and shrubs.
- Pros:Wonderful geographical location
- Cons:Too many critics who see it as an easy target without real facts
- In a nutshell:A good regional centre
Ottringham is a small village on the Hull to Withernsea road and worth visiting for its 12th century church. This is the... more travel advice
Its not a long walk from Queen Victoria Square to the Deep, the Pier or the museums in the High Street but you can take... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Kingston upon Hull Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "England's European gateway"
- "King's Town upon the River Hull"
- "Hull: Reclaiming the city, reclaiming the sea..."
- "A Journey into the Unknown!"
- "For the third time of visiting"
- "Yet rebirthing, very worthy UK location!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kingston upon Hull
- Hotels in Kingston upon Hull
- Transportation in Kingston upon Hull
- Nightlife in Kingston upon Hull
- Restaurants in Kingston upon Hull
- Shopping in Kingston upon Hull
- Warnings and Dangers in Kingston upon Hull
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kingston upon Hull
- 123 Reviews
- 217 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Kingston upon Hull?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kingston upon Hull
- Posted in Travel England Forum "Re: In the country"
- Wrote a Review Ottingham and its church in Kingston upon Hull Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ottingham and its church"
- Commented on one of Britannia2's Kingston upon Hull tips
- updated a Kingston upon Hull Travel Page "England's European gateway"
Photos in Kingston upon HullSee All Photos (217)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 135 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 123 reviews, 217 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 73 reviews, 137 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 80 reviews, 117 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos
- Northallerton Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos