"The finest town on the Yorkshire coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough by Britannia2
Scarborough Travel Guide: 276 reviews and 409 photos
Scarborough is my favourite Yorkshire town - I like it so much I would consider retiring here. I sometimes get to work here very occasionally and really enjoy lunchtimes in the town especially in the winter when there are no tourists and the town belongs to local people again.
Of all the towns in England this is the one with most scenic changes in one town. The tackiness of the south bay is so different to the broad expanse of the north bay and the town centre seems very detached from them both.
This town really does have something for everyone.
The two bays in Scarborough are very different to each other and are connected either by roads in the town centre or by the Marine Drive.
Now undergoing much renovation - the photo needs replacing - as there is an open air theatre, new shops and apartments and a surf school.
The south bay is the fun part of town with amusement arcades, pubs , cafes and ice cream. It also has the life boat station and the harbour and the wonderful theatre where the summer shows are showcased.
Many people leave this part of town alone but despite the amusement arcades and fish and chips there are some hidden gems such as a very good dicount bookshop and wonderful ice cream parlours.
- Pros:First class shopping , eating and leisure facilities
- Cons:Rather hilly and rather deceptive in its size - this is a big town.
- In a nutshell:One of Englands best coastal towns - more than just seaside
One of the most impressive bridges in England - it was built because there was quite a deep descent to the sea-front... more travel advice
We only called in here late one afternoon for drinks but this is a beautifully presented cafe over two floors - the... more travel advice
- See All Seamer station
- See All Small town centre theatre
- See All Town centre budget hotel
- See All Dalby Forest
Written Jul 20, 2008
Filming The Royal
Written Jul 17, 2012
Britannia2's Related Pages
Scarborough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The finest town on the Yorkshire coast"
- "Everything Changes & Nothing Changes"
- "Sun, Sea, Sand, at Scarborough"
- "My home town!"
- "More than a fair"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scarborough
- Hotels in Scarborough
- Transportation in Scarborough
- Nightlife in Scarborough
- Restaurants in Scarborough
- Shopping in Scarborough
- Warnings and Dangers in Scarborough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scarborough
- 71 Reviews
- 133 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Scarborough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scarborough
Photos in ScarboroughSee All Photos (133)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 134 reviews, 266 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 114 reviews, 201 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 71 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 78 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 32 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Whitby Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos