"The finest town on the Yorkshire coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough by Britannia2

Scarborough Travel Guide: 276 reviews and 409 photos

Scarborough - Queen of the Yorkshire coast.

Scarborough is my favourite Yorkshire town - I like it so much I would consider retiring here. I sometimes get to work here very occasionally and really enjoy lunchtimes in the town especially in the winter when there are no tourists and the town belongs to local people again.
Of all the towns in England this is the one with most scenic changes in one town. The tackiness of the south bay is so different to the broad expanse of the north bay and the town centre seems very detached from them both.
This town really does have something for everyone.

The North Bay

The two bays in Scarborough are very different to each other and are connected either by roads in the town centre or by the Marine Drive.
Now undergoing much renovation - the photo needs replacing - as there is an open air theatre, new shops and apartments and a surf school.

South Bay

The south bay is the fun part of town with amusement arcades, pubs , cafes and ice cream. It also has the life boat station and the harbour and the wonderful theatre where the summer shows are showcased.
Many people leave this part of town alone but despite the amusement arcades and fish and chips there are some hidden gems such as a very good dicount bookshop and wonderful ice cream parlours.

• Pros:First class shopping , eating and leisure facilities
  • Cons:Rather hilly and rather deceptive in its size - this is a big town.
  • In a nutshell:One of Englands best coastal towns - more than just seaside
  • Last visit to Scarborough: Jul 2012
  • Intro Updated Jul 17, 2012

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Great page. It brought back memories. I last went here as a child. I remember the castle, the open top bus along the front and model boats fighting a war in the lake at Peasholm Park. Do they still do that ? Irene

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Great tips and wonderful pictures - I'm really looking forward to visiting here! Everything looks so beautiful, and the castle sounds very interesting.
    Oh, but we can't go to that book shop, or I will spend all day in there, haha...

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Thanks for your comment on my Robin Hood's Bay page. Maybe our next trip will be to Scarborough after reading your informative page.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Colin, Those gardens are beautiful!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Colin, fabulous new fish and chip shop tip. Well done.

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Fantastic Yorkshire tips. What a county!I haven't been to Scartborough since I was 12- many years ago! My Mum was from Yks., so we went up quite often.She retired back up there, to Sandsend, nr Whitby.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Really enjoyed the read Colin. Great pix too. Thornton le Dale looks real nice :o) .....& yes, quite different from our Scarborough :o) Cheers, Ann.

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Wow, all this and donkeys too!

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2007 at 11:25 AM

What a great page on a great beach town. Your image of St. Mary's at night is terrific. And Thornton as well as Scarborough are so - well - English looking. Asbury will be quite different, I assure you. Really enjoyed this. N.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2007 at 4:54 AM

Charmed by your photos of such a wonderful town. LOVE the thatched roof houses and the beaches and boats and views from the top of the hill....all wonderful. Thank you!

Britannia2 Visits Here Frequently!

Britannia2

“Whatever did we do before the internet?”

Badges & Stats in Scarborough

Have you been to Scarborough?

Latest Activity in Scarborough