"Seaside town with an island" Top 5 Page for this destination Weymouth by Britannia2
Weymouth Travel Guide: 155 reviews and 290 photos
This is a very interesting town - great English seaside but with a better feel to it than Bournemouth. Whereas Bournemouth has become a young persons town Weymouth has something for all ages. There is a real sense of history here - some Georgian buildings have stood the test of time well and the town is well laid out. It is the only town I can think of in the UK that has a seafront and harbour at the back of the town centre and this makes an interesting design of town.
Portland is reached via a causeway from Upton just outside Weymouth. A large island that is unlike any other in England with one central main village that straddles the island.
The most interesting part is Portland Bill where the famous lighthouse can be found.
The harbour is a working harbour with small coasters mixing with fishing vessles but mainly leisure craft including some great looking yachts. There are some wonderful houses around the harbour and some intersting looking pubs and cafes.
- Pros:Great for wandering around
- Cons:Difficult car parking in town but nothing else
- In a nutshell:A sense of history in both town and in Portland
If you are in Weymouth and want to explore north of Weymouth there is rover ticket called a Heart of Wessex Day Ranger.... more travel advice
The Chesil Beach is 29 km long, 200 meters wide and 18 meters high. It connects the Isle Of Portland to Abbotsbury and... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Weymouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home, Sweet Home"
- "Seaside town with an island"
- "WEYMOUTH & PORTLAND"
- "Sunny Weymouth"
- "One way in - One way out!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Weymouth
- Hotels in Weymouth
- Transportation in Weymouth
- Nightlife in Weymouth
- Restaurants in Weymouth
- Shopping in Weymouth
- Warnings and Dangers in Weymouth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Weymouth
- 12 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Weymouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Weymouth
Photos in WeymouthSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 203 reviews, 401 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 140 reviews, 245 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 89 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 77 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 46 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Isle of Skye Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 30 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bridlington Intro, 33 reviews, 63 photos