"York - potential capital of the north" Top 5 Page for this destination York by Britannia2
York Travel Guide: 1,734 reviews and 4,309 photos
Some years ago there was some speculation that the government would devolve some power from London to provincial centres and York was tipped to become the capital of the north of England.
A good choice - it has a good mix of the old and the new and is one of the finest cities in the north of England.
- Pros:Easy to get to
- Cons:Some planning nightmares - old and new mixing errors
- In a nutshell:History and modern life side by side
The Wolds Retreat is part of the Buddhist Centre at Kilnwick Percy which is a few miles east of York near Pocklington.... more travel advice
Millington Wood is a 52 acre ancient ash wood set in a Yorkshire Wolds valley. Here you can undertake woodland walks,... more travel advice
- See All North Country Flexi Rover
- See All Burnby Hall Gardens
- See All Vegan restaurant
- See All Yorks main theatre
Britannia2's Related Pages
York Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "York - potential capital of the north"
- "The Old Capital of the North"
- "History and shopping."
- "York - a standout amongst the pretenders"
- "YORK - 2000 YEARS OF HISTORY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in York
- Hotels in York
- Transportation in York
- Nightlife in York
- Restaurants in York
- Shopping in York
- Warnings and Dangers in York
- See All...
Badges & Stats in York
- 87 Reviews
- 130 Photos
- 58 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to York?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in York
Photos in YorkSee All Photos (130)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 186 reviews, 369 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 136 reviews, 239 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 87 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 74 reviews, 137 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 38 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos
- Bridlington Intro, 31 reviews, 57 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos