"York - potential capital of the north" Top 5 Page for this destination York by Britannia2

York Travel Guide: 1,640 reviews and 4,020 photos

Old town/new town

Some years ago there was some speculation that the government would devolve some power from London to provincial centres and York was tipped to become the capital of the north of England.
A good choice - it has a good mix of the old and the new and is one of the finest cities in the north of England.

• Pros:Easy to get to
  • Cons:Some planning nightmares - old and new mixing errors
  • In a nutshell:History and modern life side by side
  • Last visit to York: Jul 2012
  • Intro Updated Jul 14, 2012

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I saw Legally Blonde Musical at the Grand Opera House last August. I think the front exterior could do with a little bit of a face lift but inside quite nice although small compared to other theatres I've been to.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2012 at 3:43 AM

This is indeed a very comprehensive page, I found several things that are not mentioned in my guidebook but sound very interesting, for example Merchant Taylors Hall and King Williams College. All saved in my trip planner now! I am so much looking forward to going to York! The old architecture looks wonderful.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I loved the railway museum when I was in York many years ago. Does the Jorvik Viking Centre still exist? I remember we had to queue for hours (with two small children) to even get in, but they liked it once we were inside. Great that York has a Grand Opera House, though it does look as though it has seen better days.

• appleseed81's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Hi Colin, how is it going? Hope you had a fun New Year. :)

• May 20, 2009 at 5:36 AM

Great tips, I´m staying in Lincoln next week and a visit to York is for sure !

• Elena77's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Great tips, thanks for sharing. I definitely have to attend one of the York ghost hunt tours one day! :)

• leecouk12324's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Your desc pic of York is worrying to me - it reminds me of Blackpool - maybe i will go and spend a night in Reeth, Yorkshire - i had many a happy nights doing the Wainwrights c2c walk - nice country pubs

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2008 at 2:27 AM

An excellent page! Do you know if there will be a maze in 2008?

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2007 at 5:54 AM

A fabulous page on York. Wish I'd had those restaurant tips whenI was there because I found it very expensive. Beautiful photos as well. Most enjoyable :))

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2007 at 4:38 PM

York is one one of my favorite places in UK. We heard about the Ghost Hunt but it was such a rainy day... hmmm... how to excuse .... Well, the lazy Germans perfered to stay dry ;-) Need to return to do the Ghost hunt

Britannia2 Visits Here Frequently!

Britannia2

“Whatever did we do before the internet?”

Badges & Stats in York