"Maritime Greenwich" Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich by Britannia2
Greenwich Travel Guide: 327 reviews and 895 photos
Only 20 minutes by mainline train Greenwich is a London village with so much to see and do. There is a sense of escaping London when you arrive at the early Victorian station despite travelling so little distance - as you walk in to the town you pass the West Greenwich library and at once know you are in a maritime town "somewhere in England".
Apart from the monstrous town hall and an awful 1960s shopping parade between the station and the town the entire town is a delight and a pleasant place to spend a day or a few hours.
There is so much to see here - the Observatory, the park, the Royal Naval hospital and the National Maritime Museum. The famous ship the Cutty Sark has reopened to visitors after fire damage.
The view from the top of Greenwich Park over to Canary Wharf is one of the finest in England.
World Heritage Site status was awarded to 'Maritime Greenwich’ by UNESCO in 1997. Set on the banks of the River Thames just four miles downstream from Tower Bridge it is particularly noted for its magnificent architecture, beautiful parkland and a lively town centre.
- Pros:Martime England at its best.
- Cons:Heavy traffic spoils the town
- In a nutshell:None
There is always help available at Greenwich Pier to advise passengers for the various ships that travel along the... more travel advice
Trafalgar Quarters is a tasteful 2001 conversion of a Grade II Listed Building built in 1813 as lodgings for officers of... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Greenwich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic Greenwich"
- "Maritime Greenwich"
- "GREENWICH, ENGLAND"
- "Greenwich - the Prime Meridian of the World"
- "Green Greenwich, top of the hill, top of the bill"
- "Greenwich, standing in two time zones"
- "Britain’s maritime legacy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greenwich
- Hotels in Greenwich
- Transportation in Greenwich
- Nightlife in Greenwich
- Restaurants in Greenwich
- Shopping in Greenwich
- Warnings and Dangers in Greenwich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greenwich
- 34 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Greenwich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greenwich
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 163 reviews, 326 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 129 reviews, 229 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 74 reviews, 137 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 82 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 34 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 36 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos
- Northallerton Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos