"Maritime Greenwich" Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich by Britannia2
Greenwich Travel Guide: 262 reviews and 664 photos
Only 20 minutes by mainline train Greenwich is a London village with so much to see and do. There is a sense of escaping London when you arrive at the early Victorian station despite travelling so little distance - as you walk in to the town you pass the West Greenwich library and at once know you are in a maritime town "somewhere in England".
Apart from the monstrous town hall and an awful 1960s shopping parade between the station and the town the entire town is a delight and a pleasant place to spend a day or a few hours.
There is so much to see here - the Observatory, the park, the Royal Naval hospital and the National Maritime Museum. The famous ship the Cutty Sark is currently closed to visitors due to fire damage.
The view from the top of Greenwich Park over to Canary Wharf is one of the finest in England.
World Heritage Site status was awarded to 'Maritime Greenwich’ by UNESCO in 1997. Set on the banks of the River Thames just four miles downstream from Tower Bridge it is particularly noted for its magnificent architecture, beautiful parkland and a lively town centre.
- Pros:Martime England at its best.
- Cons:Heavy traffic spoils the town
- In a nutshell:None
This is a ticket that offers unlimited travel on First Capital Connect (FCC) train services - this ticket is only... more travel advice
The Chapel of St Peter and St Paul was the last major element in the Hospital’s construction and was completed to Thomas... more travel advice
Britannia2's Related Pages
Greenwich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic Greenwich"
- "GREENWICH, ENGLAND"
- "Greenwich - the Prime Meridian of the World"
- "Maritime Greenwich"
- "Green Greenwich, top of the hill, top of the bill"
- "Greenwich, standing in two time zones"
- "GREEN, GREEN, GREEN GREENWICH"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greenwich
- Hotels in Greenwich
- Transportation in Greenwich
- Nightlife in Greenwich
- Restaurants in Greenwich
- Shopping in Greenwich
- Warnings and Dangers in Greenwich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greenwich
- 18 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Greenwich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greenwich
Photos in GreenwichSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 133 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 104 reviews, 182 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 71 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 78 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 29 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos
- Brugge Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Whitby Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (26)
Latest Greenwich hotel reviews
- Ibis London Greenwich
- 315 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013