"Summit" Summit by tombsp

Summit Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 14 photos

I wouldn't recommend that anyone went out of their way to visit Summit City for the simply reason there isn't anything worth going out the way to see. But saying that, if you do find yourself in Summit take assurance that there are far worse places end up.

I spent about 5 months in Summit while on secondment to the US office of my
employer. Summit was my first taste of America and a very pleasant one.

After venturing out from the Grand Summit Hotel for the first time it didn't take me long to start wondering what gave it the right to be called a City. Compared your average City in England it is positively tiny. I've visited small towns that would swamp this place.

One thing that Summit is big on is churches. I think there must be more places of worship than there are places to drink. Unheard of in my homeland?.

That brings me on to the only bad point I can think of about Summit...the complete lack of pubs and bars. I only found two and one of those was in my hotel!! I heard a rumour that there was another at the back of a restaurant somewhere but never found it.

Joking aside, Summit is a lovely place to end up in, peaceful, laid back and very friendly people. I got lost in some very attractive residential areas, tree lined avenues almost hiding some magnificent houses. I would imagine it quite an affluent area of New Jersey, I met a few old people claiming to be retired commodities brokers and company CEOs. It's just a shame there are no pubs for them to spend their money in.

Now, with hindsight and after visit many other places in America, I realise that it gave me the opportunity to see experience something other tourist don't. Instead of the excitement of New York or the extravagances of LA, I visited somewhere in America that?s pretty normal!

• Pros:The cheese shop
  • Cons:More churches than pubs
  • In a nutshell:A quiet and laid back town-sized city.
  • Last visit to Summit: Sep 2001
  • Intro Updated Aug 1, 2004

Comments

tombsp

“Better a day as a lion than a life time as a sheep!”

Badges & Stats in Summit