"Hot Sand Bath Worth the Visit Alone!!!!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Beppu by aussiedoug
Beppu Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 172 photos
Beppu is rated in the travel guides as being 'touristy', glitzy, gauche etc' and in some ways that's true, but all the same I'm glad we visited.
We only stayed a couple of nights as part of the first week of our honeymoon in Dec/Jan 1992, comprising a week in Japan and three weeks in the USA.
Please check my Must See Activities for the tip which I believes make visiting this place worthwhile on its own! The chapter title above refers to it so read on (to that tip!).
And, as you can see, some quite nice scenery around Beppu.
NO! I'm not referring to my then newly wed wife (although she is all right!), but the scenery of Beppu itself. It is quite pretty down around the bay as can be seen, at least a little of, in this picture
Yes, uphill, but I don't know if that translates into "Uptown" (as in the Billy Joel song sense of the word) or not. Didn't really see enough of Beppu to know where the upmarket areas within it were.
Shows clearly what we noticed about much of southern Japan's coastal regions. Hills coming down close to the coast/beach itself and building occurring whereever the land was either flat enough or not too hilly as to make it dangerous in earthquakes, landslides etc.
- Pros:Hot Sand Bath, Hot Sand Bath, Hot Sand Bath!!!!!!!
- Cons:Can be touristy if that's how you want to judge it
- In a nutshell:See my pro's above!
We were very surprised when we saw our first fruit shop in Beppu. For a number of reasons too: 1. It was winter so we... more travel advice
aussiedoug's Related Pages
Beppu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beppu - Hot Spring Heaven (... and Hell)"
- "Hot Sand Bath Worth the Visit Alone!!!!!!"
- "Transsiberian Railway : Japan - Beppu"
- "A visit to Beppu"
- "bennieofzo's new Beppu Page"
- "Seven Hells, Hot Sand Baths & Bathes in General"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beppu
- Hotels in Beppu
- Transportation in Beppu
- Nightlife in Beppu
- Restaurants in Beppu
- Shopping in Beppu
- Warnings and Dangers in Beppu
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Beppu
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Beppu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beppu
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Solo traveller looking for..."
- updated a Beppu Travel Page "Hot Sand Bath Worth the Visit Alone!!!!!!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hot Sand Bath Worth the Visit Alone!!!!!!"
- Wrote a Review Big Fruit - Big Prices! in Beppu Shopping
- Commented on one of ballball's Beppu travel pages
Photos in BeppuSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coogee Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- North Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hepburn Springs Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haleiwa Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kilda Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (191)
Latest Beppu hotel reviews
- International Minshuku Kokage
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2010
- Hotel Sea Wave Beppu
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 2, 2013
- Hotel Arther
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 12, 2013
- Nogamihonkan Ryokan
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2013
- Beppu Station Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013