"Hot Sand Bath Worth the Visit Alone!!!!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Beppu by aussiedoug

Beppu Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 172 photos

Beppu is rated in the travel guides as being 'touristy', glitzy, gauche etc' and in some ways that's true, but all the same I'm glad we visited.
We only stayed a couple of nights as part of the first week of our honeymoon in Dec/Jan 1992, comprising a week in Japan and three weeks in the USA.
Please check my Must See Activities for the tip which I believes make visiting this place worthwhile on its own! The chapter title above refers to it so read on (to that tip!).

See There is More than Hot Sand Baths!

And, as you can see, some quite nice scenery around Beppu.

NO! I'm not referring to my then newly wed wife (although she is all right!), but the scenery of Beppu itself. It is quite pretty down around the bay as can be seen, at least a little of, in this picture

An Uphill Scenic View of Part of Beppu

Yes, uphill, but I don't know if that translates into "Uptown" (as in the Billy Joel song sense of the word) or not. Didn't really see enough of Beppu to know where the upmarket areas within it were.

Shows clearly what we noticed about much of southern Japan's coastal regions. Hills coming down close to the coast/beach itself and building occurring whereever the land was either flat enough or not too hilly as to make it dangerous in earthquakes, landslides etc.

• Pros:Hot Sand Bath, Hot Sand Bath, Hot Sand Bath!!!!!!!
  • Cons:Can be touristy if that's how you want to judge it
  • In a nutshell:See my pro's above!
  • Last visit to Beppu: Dec 1992
  • Intro Updated Mar 16, 2004

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2007 at 6:03 AM

Very interesting tip.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2006 at 6:02 AM

Hmmmm not many pics of the city. I wonder what else you were doing where you didn't bring your camera??? Honeymooon, huh? ha ha h a

• Jul 18, 2006 at 10:58 AM

The sand, the sand, please some sand for me too!!! It seems that everybody who read your tip about this spa was convinced, and I'm not exception!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2006 at 8:19 PM

Nice little page! I understand that Japan in general is very expensive to travel to, but what a great chance that you could visit it!

• Propermark's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2006 at 3:17 AM

The hot sand bath seems really relaxing! What a strange city name "Beppu" never heard of it before:))

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2005 at 12:23 AM

That spa sounds amazing! I'd love to have ago. Lesley

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 12:04 AM

"relieving your childhood"? What was it you were doing in that sand? Thank you for sharing.

• Rachelynn's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2004 at 8:25 AM

OOhhhh, Onsen!! I have yet to been to any parts of Japan, yr Beppu write up is very interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing.

• hekate's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 4:37 AM

The sand bath sounds really tempting :)

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2004 at 8:03 PM

sounds like a great place to kick back ^..^

aussiedoug

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Beppu