"Spectacular Backdrop to Portland" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Hood by aussiedoug

Mount Hood Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 184 photos

The Silent Sentinel

Mt Hood is an absolutely spectacular backdrop to Portland.

We visited it after driving down from Seattle then a short stay at Crystal Mountain.

It makes skiing easily accessible for people living in Portland. From memory I think it took us about an hour to get to Timberline Lodge from our hotel.

I believe there is summer skiing on the glacier?

Would love to revisit not just Mt Hood, but Portland, Seattle and lots more of the Pacific Northwest in another season, preferably much warmer.

Scary to think, though that it is actually a dormant volcano! Just like Mt Rainier and I guess Mt Baker as well. What about Mt Batchelor (is that spelling correct?)?

That's part of what makes the Pacific Northwest so spectacular scenery wise, being located on the Pacific rim/ring of fire.

Thanks to mark mtncorgi who helped me by idnetifying some photos I took so now I can add this one I took while driving up to Mt Hood. Apparently this is just out of Gresham on U.S. 26 heading up to Mt Hood. Thanks again Mark!

• Pros:Beautiful scenery, quite good skiing
  • Cons:None really
  • In a nutshell:Worth seeing close up. Not just from Portland
  • Last visit to Mount Hood: Jan 1995
  • Intro Updated Feb 19, 2004

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2004 at 2:48 AM

Mmmm, yes, the whole area will one day disappear due to seismic activity but, hey, let's all enjoy it while we can.

• Apr 25, 2004 at 12:59 AM

You've sure skiied in an interesting variety of places in the U.S.A. Doug. But it seems as if Taos is your favourite. Yes?

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2004 at 10:47 AM

Am glad you enjoyed your trip to the Pacific Northwest and hope you are able to return some day. On the other hand, Australia is on my travel wish list. Too bad the distance is so far.

• Apr 5, 2004 at 7:26 PM

Those Pacifc NorthWest stratavolcanoes sure are spectacular as ocean4me suggests. Lucky you guys to have skiied this one & stayed where the Shining was filmed.

• Apr 4, 2004 at 4:32 AM

Is it as steep as that trail map suggests? Looks really beautiful in your photo & sounds like a perfect place to stay Doug.

• GeminiKerry's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2004 at 2:52 AM

Yes, the room was a bit small wasn't it! It would be lovely to go back in a different season!

• Feb 22, 2004 at 4:33 AM

Spectaular mountain for sure, but not in the same class of skiing as Taos Ski Valley. The Pacific Northwest dormant StratoVolcanoes sure are incredible mountains aren't they!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2004 at 1:06 PM

Good to see you on a little bigger hill:-] Great hiking in the summer up here too. It always helps to be bilingual!!

• Summer33's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2004 at 6:37 PM

I love Timberline lodge, if you ever get a chance to go back I recommend having Thanksgiving Dinner at the lodge, it's an amazing dinner, amazing experinece all together.

• Nov 25, 2003 at 11:18 AM

Flying from LA to Seattle it is quite impressive to see all of the volcanos, Mt. Hood included, rising from the clouds...

aussiedoug

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Mount Hood

Have you been to Mount Hood?