"Spectacular Backdrop to Portland" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Hood by aussiedoug
Mount Hood Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 184 photos
Mt Hood is an absolutely spectacular backdrop to Portland.
We visited it after driving down from Seattle then a short stay at Crystal Mountain.
It makes skiing easily accessible for people living in Portland. From memory I think it took us about an hour to get to Timberline Lodge from our hotel.
I believe there is summer skiing on the glacier?
Would love to revisit not just Mt Hood, but Portland, Seattle and lots more of the Pacific Northwest in another season, preferably much warmer.
Scary to think, though that it is actually a dormant volcano! Just like Mt Rainier and I guess Mt Baker as well. What about Mt Batchelor (is that spelling correct?)?
That's part of what makes the Pacific Northwest so spectacular scenery wise, being located on the Pacific rim/ring of fire.
Thanks to mark mtncorgi who helped me by idnetifying some photos I took so now I can add this one I took while driving up to Mt Hood. Apparently this is just out of Gresham on U.S. 26 heading up to Mt Hood. Thanks again Mark!
- Pros:Beautiful scenery, quite good skiing
- Cons:None really
- In a nutshell:Worth seeing close up. Not just from Portland
Mt Hood (11 240ft) is an absolutely spectacular mountain by anyone's judgement I'm sure. We skiied timberline when we... more travel advice
aussiedoug's Related Pages
Mount Hood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oregons Tallest mountain"
- "Top of Oregon"
- "Oregon's Private Playground: Mount Hood"
- "Spectacular Backdrop to Portland"
- "Up on Mt. Hood."
- "Amazing Scenery!"
- "Another Whopping Great Mtn in the Pacific Nor'west"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Hood
- Hotels in Mount Hood
- Transportation in Mount Hood
- Nightlife in Mount Hood
- Restaurants in Mount Hood
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Hood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Hood
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Mount Hood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Hood
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Solo traveller looking for..."
- Commented on one of goingsolo's Mount Hood travel pages
- updated a Mount Hood Travel Page "Spectacular Backdrop to Portland"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Spectacular Backdrop to Portland"
- Wrote a Review Timberline - Snow Skiing Year Round in Mount Hood Sports & Outdoors
Photos in Mount HoodSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coogee Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- North Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hepburn Springs Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haleiwa Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kilda Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos