"Haleiwa - A Place I Could Happily Live In!" Top 5 Page for this destination Haleiwa by aussiedoug

Haleiwa Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 163 photos

Holly - Evuh: Gateway to the North Shore

When I found out this town was the Gateway to the North Shore I knew I just had to visit here. With those famous surf spots I'd read about & seen piccies of as a young grommet: Waimea Bay, Pipeline, Sunset Beach just up the road it made Haleiwa an absolute must visit destination.

Holly - Evuh as written above is apparently the corrrect way to pronounce the town's name.

But is it more than just the Gateway?

And the answer dear reader is a resounding "YES". Is he shouting that? "Indeed so!". But not rudely of course, just enthusiastically!

It's a real interesting little place. Part down to earth & part up-market. Part sleepy & part lively.

We found great eating, great shopping & great recreational opportunities abounding in this town.

An Official Historic & Scenic District.

My reading about this interesting & lovely town tells me that the above is the case. Come on you U.S. VTers,how does this happen? How does a town get added to this list?

Yes, it's an interesting place all right, a bit ramshackle in many respects, but that's one of the things I liked about it. After the high rise, sort of glitzy glamour (?) of Waikiki I felt a lot more at home here in historic, scenic Haleiwa!

I guess it's also related to its history in the sugar industry when it was first founded around 100 years ago by a sugar man by the name of Dillingham. His name is relevant to us as we ended up driving too far on a road named after him when trying to get back to Waikiki a few days earlier from the other end of Oahu.

So I suppose it's gone from its early days as a sugar plantation place to evolve into how it is today. My kind of place in so many respects!

• Pros:Gr8 eating, shopping & recreational opportunities
  • Cons:Not a single one that I could notice!
  • In a nutshell:Idyllic town acting as the gateway to Oahu's Nth Shore
  • Last visit to Haleiwa: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 17, 2008

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2009 at 5:09 AM

Hi surfer-boy. I believe there is a reason for everything. Perhaps you were late for the cage dive for a reason....??

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 1:21 AM

Hi Doug! Great page & tips on Haleiwa. Sunset shot is magnificent. My son has just returned fromthere, and had same experience re hire car-He ended up with a red Mustang!

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Thanks for visiting my Haleiwa page, Doug. Looks like you get out to Hawaii quite a bit. Good for you! Happy New Year from Virginia (via LA where I am currently)!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Excellent pages with comprehensive tips, good photographs, a personable narration style, and a touch of humor. Quite an enjoyable read. Sorry you were unable to swim with the sharks.

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Nice page! Brings back some good memories. Thanks for sharing.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2006 at 4:52 AM

So now I know where your passport picture comes from! Merry Christmas, Doug, and a Happy New Year!

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 11:50 PM

This place looks great!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2005 at 8:07 PM

Aaahhh, wouldn't it be wonderful to spend Christmas here??? Hope your holiday is bright and full of good eats!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2005 at 5:51 PM

Shark's Cove looks like a site worth investigating! I enjoyed your homepage--your twins are adorable! The sunset in Haleiwa was a great photo.

• Nov 4, 2005 at 4:48 AM

This is exactly the kind of place I'd like to escape to now that winter's about to hit Tromsø!!:o) Have a nice weekend!

aussiedoug

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Haleiwa

Have you been to Haleiwa?