"Haleiwa - A Place I Could Happily Live In!" Top 5 Page for this destination Haleiwa by aussiedoug
Haleiwa Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 163 photos
When I found out this town was the Gateway to the North Shore I knew I just had to visit here. With those famous surf spots I'd read about & seen piccies of as a young grommet: Waimea Bay, Pipeline, Sunset Beach just up the road it made Haleiwa an absolute must visit destination.
Holly - Evuh as written above is apparently the corrrect way to pronounce the town's name.
And the answer dear reader is a resounding "YES". Is he shouting that? "Indeed so!". But not rudely of course, just enthusiastically!
It's a real interesting little place. Part down to earth & part up-market. Part sleepy & part lively.
We found great eating, great shopping & great recreational opportunities abounding in this town.
My reading about this interesting & lovely town tells me that the above is the case. Come on you U.S. VTers,how does this happen? How does a town get added to this list?
Yes, it's an interesting place all right, a bit ramshackle in many respects, but that's one of the things I liked about it. After the high rise, sort of glitzy glamour (?) of Waikiki I felt a lot more at home here in historic, scenic Haleiwa!
I guess it's also related to its history in the sugar industry when it was first founded around 100 years ago by a sugar man by the name of Dillingham. His name is relevant to us as we ended up driving too far on a road named after him when trying to get back to Waikiki a few days earlier from the other end of Oahu.
So I suppose it's gone from its early days as a sugar plantation place to evolve into how it is today. My kind of place in so many respects!
- Pros:Gr8 eating, shopping & recreational opportunities
- Cons:Not a single one that I could notice!
- In a nutshell:Idyllic town acting as the gateway to Oahu's Nth Shore
After watching the sun gradually going down from Waimea Bay down to Haleiwa, it was our pleasure to see the last bits of... more travel advice
Don't really know if this belongs in "off the beaten path" as it's pretty easy to find on the main road north of... more travel advice
aussiedoug's Related Pages
Haleiwa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Haleiwa - A Place I Could Happily Live In!"
- "Gateway to the North Shore"
- "The Highlight of our Trip!"
- "Big Wave Surfing Gateway"
- "Haleiwa Girl"
- "north shore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haleiwa
- Hotels in Haleiwa
- Transportation in Haleiwa
- Restaurants in Haleiwa
- Shopping in Haleiwa
- Warnings and Dangers in Haleiwa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haleiwa
- 10 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 63 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Haleiwa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haleiwa
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Solo traveller looking for..."
- Commented on one of Hopkid's Haleiwa travel pages
- updated a Haleiwa Travel Page "Haleiwa - A Place I Could Happily Live In!"
- Wrote a Review Colourful Skies at Sunset in Haleiwa Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Haleiwa - A Place I Could Happily Live In!"
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coogee Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- North Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hepburn Springs Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haleiwa Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kilda Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos