""Get Your Kicks on Route 66"" Top 5 Page for this destination Seligman by aussiedoug

Seligman Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 53 photos

The Waitress with the "Beehive"

Had to create this page just to tell the story that relates to the above statement!

We were coming from Las Vegas, driving across to Grand Canyon & when we saw the turn-off to this place & noticed it was on the historic "Route 66" I said, "Let's go in here & have some lunch". This is one of the problems in the U.S> is that despite their freeways & highways being so brilliant to get around on, it unfortunately, on the other hand makes it too easy to miss all the interesting little places along the way. Sooooo, thus my wanting to go in there for lunch, & especially because it was on "Route 66". Nuff said....., Yes, they all chorused in unison! LOL!

On to the story. Went into this little diner & the waitress is the African American lady with a monster "beehive" hairdo looking like a refugee/reject from the 60's. so we're having a hard time containing our chuckles when in walk a cou0ple of cowboy type guys. Nothing over the top...., No greenhorn city slicker type pretend cowboys. They looked just like I'd imagine average sort of farm type workers to be dressed. So, the waitress comes over to take our order and she says to us, "Would you get a load of those guys. Can you believe those hats!" Well we really had to work hard not to fall off our chairs clutching our sideswith laughter, not at "THEM", but at "HER"! She was the one who looked ridiculous, not them.

Only in America (well not really think I'd restrict that to the Jerry Springer show! LOL!).

• Pros:Gr8 Little Stopover on "Route 66"
  • In a nutshell:Worth a stopover if passing by
  • Intro Written Mar 14, 2004

• akkipaa's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Ok, we have been in the same areas I passed whole Route 66 with mc last year. We drove as much as possible original roads so we saw everything you missed on highways. Be free to read my travellogue :) Haven't been in touch for years, I renew my friend request, if you decide to come back :)

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 7:01 AM

Seligman is still kinda crazy! Great, enjoyable page.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2008 at 4:48 AM

We had a look at this town too, thought it was crazy.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2007 at 8:41 AM

what a great little page - on of the great little pages on VT (you're up late, mate)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2004 at 6:01 AM

Shades of Marge Simpson perhaps?

• ancientmariner's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2004 at 5:20 PM

Terrific to read about these little way out of the way places. Route 66 eh? I'd like to do that drive one day!

• Apr 2, 2004 at 10:32 PM

Planning a road trip for next year in the USA so must include this in the itinerary! See if she's still there all these years later for u!

• GeminiKerry's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2004 at 11:12 PM

Yeah, she was a scream that waitress wasn't she!

• Mar 20, 2004 at 1:24 AM

I can just picture that & it sure is amusing. Interesting little place just off the main drag hey?h

aussiedoug

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Seligman

Have you been to Seligman?