"Switzerland With Gum Trees" Falls Creek by aussiedoug

Falls Creek Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 67 photos

Two Generations of Longs Learning to Ski

It mightn't be the biggest (Perisher Blue in my home state of New South Wales is that), it mightn't be the glitziest (possibly Thredbo in N.S.W. and/or Mt Buller in Victoria takes that prize), but for my money it's the BEST ski resort in Australia.
I learnt to ski here way older than I should have and unfortunately that keeps me at the Intermediate Level. My girls will be way better than me by the time they get to 10 years old!

Falls Creek is an absolutely gorgeous Alpine village with genuine ski in/ski out accommodation that beats any other Australian ski area.

During our various trips to the U.S.A we have skiied little ski hills in Wisconsin (Sunburst at West Bend - Little Switzerland about 20 minutes from West Bend -Rib Mountain at Wasau - Whitecap Mountains, a much bigger ski area, near Montreal & Hurley in Northern Wisc, Michigan (Big Powderhorn near Bessemer),bigger ones in Alaska (Mt Alyeska), Washington State (Crystal Mtn), Oregon (Mt Hood - Timberline not that big really), Nevada (Lee Canyon - listed by VT as a Summer Area, but we've skiied there!) and lastly, the biggest we've been to & our favourite Taos Ski Valley in beautiful New Mexico- but you're wondering what my point is? All the Americans & other nationalities (excepts NZers) we've spoken to there are absolutely flabbergasted when we tell them we ski in Australia.

So I tell them if they come down here in the winter time then try to visit & ski Falls Creek.

• Pros:Beautiful Alpine Village with ski-in/ski out accommodation
  • Cons:Absolutely None
  • In a nutshell:My Favourite Aussie Ski Resort
  • Last visit to Falls Creek: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 1, 2004

• nipper1's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2005 at 11:53 AM

in Aus, all is poss. fun page great pics

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2005 at 4:59 PM

Your girls are sooooooo cute. Love the white sky-white snow background pix. I am flabbergasted too, I would never have guessed that snow and gum trees would thrive in the same space.

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2005 at 3:16 PM

A good address for my next DownUnder trip in case if I will miss my Switzerland without gum trees ;-) Hope your still enjoy the ski. How is the snow conditions this year?

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2005 at 9:33 PM

G'day Doug. Your girls remind me of when I took my first skiing lesson..... except they were better haha :o) Cheers, Ann.

• mariev's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2004 at 1:11 PM

Brr... what an unbearable suspense this first ski lesson Pfff.. happy end

• D.MacGee's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2004 at 8:59 PM

I'm a Thredbo addict myself. I'd love to fight about which one is better but I've never been to Falls. I love the long steep runs and there's no flat parts. Bloody Perisher.

• Oct 28, 2004 at 4:59 AM

Good to see you showcasing one of our best ski areas to VTers Doug. It is a beaut spot isn't it!

• hekate's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 3:37 AM

Hm, I did not know that you could have such a deep snow in Australia. Makes me realise once again that I have so many things to learn :)

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2004 at 6:30 PM

Add me to your list of flabbergasted Yanks who didn't realize you guys have snow-skiing "down under"!!!!!! Great intro photo!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2004 at 2:38 AM

I don't like snow. I don't. I never will. It's bloody cold. It freezes your fingers off.

aussiedoug

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Falls Creek

Have you been to Falls Creek?