"Last Eating Place before Antarctica" Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta by aussiedoug
Augusta Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 96 photos
We visited Augusta on our way back from Albany. It was windy and coolish while we were there. I think it's a fairly exposed area, particularly from the southerllies that blow so cold off the Southern Ocean.
Had to take a photo of this when we saw it. So, we hooked the trusty Canon 1000EOS to the window of our hire care & took a reasonably rare shot of the two of us together.
White settlement in Augusta first occurred in 1830 when settlers led by the Molloys, Bussells(I guess Busselton comes form that name) & Turners landed on May 2.
Especially as it was chronologically taken first. Obviously you are saying to yourself! Yes we did drive past this to get to the town.
A bit more historical info'. Timber was an important industry early on, but by 1910 it had seriously declined. Just 10 years later saw an initiative by the W.A., Federal & British governments saw a new wave of settlers attracted to become dairy farmers, but this also was doomed to failure with many of these people apparently leaving the land with little more than the clothes on their backs. By 1930 this scheme was abandoned.
Quite a magnificent lighthouse with pletny of height this one.
It was begun in 1895 with the foundation stone being laid on December 13. It was commissioned one year later by the man who laid the foundation stone, Sir John Forrest.
- Pros:Pretty little village in a lovely natural setting
- Cons:Fair way from Perth, but I sure some love it for that
- In a nutshell:Would be a great summer holiday place!
Would recommend this motel to anyone who was doing a road trip such as we were. Will add some more info later as we are... more travel advice
aussiedoug's Related Pages
Augusta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A town and lighthouse"
- "Last Eating Place before Antarctica"
- "Augusta, beautiful little town on the SW coast"
- "Keeweechic's Augusta"
- "Augusta And Cape Leeuwin"
- "Augusta and surrounds"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Augusta
- Hotels in Augusta
- Transportation in Augusta
- Restaurants in Augusta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Augusta
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Augusta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Augusta
Photos in AugustaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coogee Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- North Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hepburn Springs Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haleiwa Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kilda Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos