"Last Eating Place before Antarctica" Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta by aussiedoug

Augusta Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 96 photos

Where the Indian Ocean Meets the Southern Ocean

We visited Augusta on our way back from Albany. It was windy and coolish while we were there. I think it's a fairly exposed area, particularly from the southerllies that blow so cold off the Southern Ocean.

Had to take a photo of this when we saw it. So, we hooked the trusty Canon 1000EOS to the window of our hire care & took a reasonably rare shot of the two of us together.

White settlement in Augusta first occurred in 1830 when settlers led by the Molloys, Bussells(I guess Busselton comes form that name) & Turners landed on May 2.

Maybe this photo should have gone first

Especially as it was chronologically taken first. Obviously you are saying to yourself! Yes we did drive past this to get to the town.

A bit more historical info'. Timber was an important industry early on, but by 1910 it had seriously declined. Just 10 years later saw an initiative by the W.A., Federal & British governments saw a new wave of settlers attracted to become dairy farmers, but this also was doomed to failure with many of these people apparently leaving the land with little more than the clothes on their backs. By 1930 this scheme was abandoned.

Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse

Quite a magnificent lighthouse with pletny of height this one.

It was begun in 1895 with the foundation stone being laid on December 13. It was commissioned one year later by the man who laid the foundation stone, Sir John Forrest.

• Pros:Pretty little village in a lovely natural setting
  • Cons:Fair way from Perth, but I sure some love it for that
  • In a nutshell:Would be a great summer holiday place!
  • Last visit to Augusta: Oct 1998
  • Intro Updated Feb 2, 2004

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Gosh, and I thought they played golf here!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2005 at 9:56 PM

well I always been told CHCH is the last stop for good tucker ^..^ but I can vouche, Augusta is a great place to be. tks Matey for jogging my fond memories.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2005 at 9:25 PM

Now I want to get an atlas out and judge if it is the last place to eat before Antarctica.

• Sep 18, 2004 at 8:51 AM

Great page mate, spend most summer holidays camping at Flinders Bay, snorkelling,fishing, relaxing. Yes for those overseas the temperatures in summer are very mild . The Lighthouse is surrounded by Abalone!

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2004 at 2:51 PM

Oh! We didn't climb the lighthouse...we should have though... And good on you for stopping for the welcome sign...we meant to but forgot...

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2004 at 2:06 AM

A place not to miss ! Last eating place before Antarctica !! Really not to miss

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2004 at 10:58 AM

Truth truly lies on the other side of the Nullarbor?

• Apr 25, 2004 at 7:13 PM

Never heard of this place before & must include it in a future visit to W.A. Sounds like it would be good in warmer weather.

• Apr 5, 2004 at 7:04 PM

You're right about it being better in Summer. Not a bad little place to visit for a few days either b4 or after Margaret River.

• Feb 22, 2004 at 5:17 AM

Another little gem in the W.A. crown that is the south-west. Looking forward to reading more, I'll be back to visit again!

aussiedoug

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Augusta

Have you been to Augusta?

Latest Activity in Augusta