"The Broken Hill - Line of Lode" Broken Hill by aussiedoug

Broken Hill Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 352 photos

Genuine Outback City

Yep, genuine outback for sure. Only been as far west as Dubbo (in New South Wales that is) before & this is the last big town, call it a city if you like, before you hit a state border.

First mentioned in one of the Explorer Charles Sturt's diaries as "The Broken Hill" around 1844. He would have never dreamed of the riches that would be taken from that Broken Hill & that's what it would be named - "Broken Hill".

But we must move on to the man who recognised this possibility. Not a trained prospector in the formal sense, but Charles Rasp. He was a bounrdary rider who thought, from his background reading, that this funny looking hill might contain Tin for mining for profit.

So mining it was for the next 100 + years

Yes Charles Rasp formed a company with a group of others, including the manager of the pastoral property on which the claim was located which became the Aussie giant. B.H.P. Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd which has become today BHP-Billiton, a bit of a multi-national in its own right.

Charles Rasp became extremely wealthy from his involvement, but a couple of the original partners sold their shares fairly cheaply before the big mineral strikes that revealed The Broken Hill to be the richest line of lode containing silver, lead & zinc in the southern hemisphere & one of the richest in the world. I learnt about this in Primary School Social Studies, but then growing up to be a surfer didn't think I'd ver visit this place.

Today, there is only 1 working mined left & not being operated by BHP. It is slated to close down around 2011

Today the Artback, not "Silver City"

Yes, as the mineral riches of this outback city have lessened the artistic riches (at least metaphorically speaking & I guess to some extent literally speaking) have increased.

Today, you will not only find a fine Regional Gallery, but over 20 private & commercial art galleries around town.

I hope Broken Hill continues to build on this as it is an absolutely fascinating town perched on the edge of the desert without a river in sight.

I was so lucky to have 3 days here just last week. One day working, but travelling to & from gave a half day on either side to explore. I definitely will visit here again & will bring my girls out here to experience an important bit of Australia's history.

• Pros:Fascinating Outback City
  • Cons:Hot in Summer!
  • In a nutshell:Part of the Australian Psyche
  • Last visit to Broken Hill: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated May 4, 2005

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2008 at 3:32 PM

The name only sounds like our kind of place...would love to know more about the town.

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 4:32 PM

this is a very interesting page on Broken Hill. The mural at the Community Center is beautiful & the sunset shot is georgeous !! Well Done Page : )

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 1:31 AM

Vale Pro Hart - much loved if oft maligned son, of the Hill. leyle

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2005 at 12:07 AM

Broken hill brings back some memories...I won a chook raffle at one of the locals....hehehehe...I was travelling through to brisbane...

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2005 at 4:42 AM

I bet their slogan is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2005 at 8:40 AM

I once had shares in BHP - perhaps I shouldn't have sold them! LOL :D

• hekate's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2005 at 9:00 AM

The hotel picture is just great :)

• CandS's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2005 at 3:50 AM

Great start! I loved my time in Broken Hill...such an interesting place... Did you get out to the sculptures?

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2005 at 3:25 PM

What else is one to do out here in the Beyond if the mine is closed? Fix the critter fences?:-]

aussiedoug

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Broken Hill

Have you been to Broken Hill?

Latest Activity in Broken Hill