"The Broken Hill - Line of Lode" Broken Hill by aussiedoug
Broken Hill Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 352 photos
Yep, genuine outback for sure. Only been as far west as Dubbo (in New South Wales that is) before & this is the last big town, call it a city if you like, before you hit a state border.
First mentioned in one of the Explorer Charles Sturt's diaries as "The Broken Hill" around 1844. He would have never dreamed of the riches that would be taken from that Broken Hill & that's what it would be named - "Broken Hill".
But we must move on to the man who recognised this possibility. Not a trained prospector in the formal sense, but Charles Rasp. He was a bounrdary rider who thought, from his background reading, that this funny looking hill might contain Tin for mining for profit.
Yes Charles Rasp formed a company with a group of others, including the manager of the pastoral property on which the claim was located which became the Aussie giant. B.H.P. Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd which has become today BHP-Billiton, a bit of a multi-national in its own right.
Charles Rasp became extremely wealthy from his involvement, but a couple of the original partners sold their shares fairly cheaply before the big mineral strikes that revealed The Broken Hill to be the richest line of lode containing silver, lead & zinc in the southern hemisphere & one of the richest in the world. I learnt about this in Primary School Social Studies, but then growing up to be a surfer didn't think I'd ver visit this place.
Today, there is only 1 working mined left & not being operated by BHP. It is slated to close down around 2011
Yes, as the mineral riches of this outback city have lessened the artistic riches (at least metaphorically speaking & I guess to some extent literally speaking) have increased.
Today, you will not only find a fine Regional Gallery, but over 20 private & commercial art galleries around town.
I hope Broken Hill continues to build on this as it is an absolutely fascinating town perched on the edge of the desert without a river in sight.
I was so lucky to have 3 days here just last week. One day working, but travelling to & from gave a half day on either side to explore. I definitely will visit here again & will bring my girls out here to experience an important bit of Australia's history.
- Pros:Fascinating Outback City
- Cons:Hot in Summer!
- In a nutshell:Part of the Australian Psyche
aussiedoug's Related Pages
Broken Hill Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Art Capital of Australia"
- "BROKEN HILL - SILVER CITY"
- "Broken Hill"
- "BROKEN HILL "THE SILVER CITY"..New South Wales.."
- "Beautiful Broken Hill"
- "Broken Hill area Wildlife"
- "Broken Hill - The Aussie outback"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Broken Hill
- Hotels in Broken Hill
- Transportation in Broken Hill
- Restaurants in Broken Hill
- Shopping in Broken Hill
- Warnings and Dangers in Broken Hill
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Broken Hill
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Broken Hill?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Broken Hill
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Solo traveller looking for..."
- Wrote a Review Gateway to the Outback in Broken Hill Hotels
- updated a Broken Hill Travel Page "The Broken Hill - Line of Lode"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Broken Hill - Line of Lode"
- Commented on one of iandsmith's Broken Hill travel pages
Photos in Broken HillSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coogee Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- North Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hepburn Springs Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haleiwa Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kilda Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos