"Beautiful Village Suburb by the Sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Coogee by aussiedoug

Coogee Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 123 photos

Home of Gr8 Coffee, Food, Nightlife & Beach

If you've already seen my 2nd off the beaten path tip for Sydney you won't want me repeating all that as an intro' here now will you?

And if you look at the above then want more could you want in a place to base yourself while visiting Sydney. It's close enough to the city, but quite far enough. It certainly feels that way when you are strolling along the beachfront as we were on Friday afternoon.

What you'll notice most about this photo, is the sandstone wall which separates the lovely green parkland from the actual sand of the beach. I don't know exactly how old this sandstone wall is. I'd suggest it would be over 100 years old. I saw some photos where we stayed taken in 1897 & it was there then so I'd imagine it had been there a while then, but how long I have no idea.

A Glimpse of the Parkland Behind the Beach

So this photo, taken at about 7:00 a.m. this morning, so with the softer morning light, shows that green parkland I was talking about above. This is one of the things that sets Coogee apart from the big name beaches of Sydney like Bondi & Manly that all overseas visitors seem to know about.

Well visitors in the know, know about Coogee. Where we had dinner last night employed amongst the waitpeople there. One lovely young English lady who was a semester through a University course at the University of New South Wales (about 5 minutes away) & there were two young ladies from Kentucky also working there. When I got my morning coffee from the Kiosk on the park behind the beach, one of the people working there was English & another one was eastern European.

So these peolpe were in the know. As I said, this would be great place to base yourself for a Sydney visit, particularly if you love the beach.

For the Chocoholics - Chocolate Cake

Here you go all you sweettooth Chocoholics. The chocolate cake at Cozzi Cafe.

Doesn't look toooooo bad at all does it? Nicely presented too. Almost seems a shame to eat it........, NOT!!!!!!!

So, if you get to Coogee then find your way to Cozzi Cafe & INDULGE!!!, not to mention enjoy Coogee's finest coffee.

Buonissimo!

• Pros:Great Beach, Excellent Coffee & Food, Good Nightlife
  • Cons:None that I can see
  • In a nutshell:If I could live here I would!
  • Last visit to Coogee: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 9, 2004

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2010 at 1:13 PM

What a wonderful beach and the backpack hotel price is a good fare. I do not think I could handle the surf boats coming into the shore, if I was a rower. Good pictures and comments

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2008 at 9:32 AM

nice pages,i like the restaurants

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2007 at 5:26 AM

I love your easy way of writing about a place that I frequented as a young person. It was a great place to rage, I seem to remember. Anyway, a gorgeous beach and some nice eateries make it a must see in Sydney. Carole.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 3:17 PM

Mmm, I'm sure I've been here. Cheers, Ian

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2006 at 11:08 PM

Coogee looks a nice place. You have excellent photos! I lake especially the surf boats travelogues!

• moonlighting's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2006 at 2:16 AM

Just went through some of your pages again. Nice tipshere... if i'm ever going this part of Australia. Cheers and happy travels forever!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 9:46 PM

Hi Doug. Even though we didn't really go much to the south side of Sydney, I have heard so much about the Coogee Bay Hotel !! Excellant write up matey!! Cheers, Ann :o)

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2005 at 5:30 AM

I always enjoy a page with a yummy dessert picture! Looks like a lovely place to visit!

• cassiejoy42's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2005 at 4:12 AM

Nice Coogee pages Doug and very touching about the tribute to the Bali losses - for me there is a deep sadness about war and terrorism - it is sad to see innocent lives lost - Cassie

• nipper1's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2005 at 7:44 PM

can't say I know Coogee, but it looks like a great Sydney getaway. good page too

aussiedoug

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Coogee