"Home of the Western Plains Zoo & Lots More Too" Top 5 Page for this destination Dubbo by aussiedoug

Dubbo Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 84 photos

But we had a big day at the Zoo

Strange how life goes in cycles(sounds better than circles doesn't it lol!). First visited Dubbo about 20 years ago when I teaching Year 6 at Jasper Road Public School & we were at Lake Burrendong Sport & Recreation Centre at Wellington about 40 odd minutes south of Dubbo. So..., we did the obligatory day trip to Dubbo to visit the BIG TWO tourist attractions at that time; firstly the abovementioned Western Plains Zoo (then in its early years) & the Old Dubbo Gaol. Can't say I was over the moon about either, but it's amazing how a little time (the master of understatement strikes again lol!) can broaden your perspective & actually open your mind.
The photo above demonstrates clearly to me how Dubbo has changed for the better. The lovely old wrought iron looking lamposts, the lovely greenery of the trees & these historic looking sandstone whatever you call them all give it a cool & welcoming feel.

• Pros:A lot more diverse than people probably realise
  • Cons:Hot in Summer, but hey if you live in -20 that might be a +
  • In a nutshell:Zoo's No1, but don't visit just for it
  • Last visit to Dubbo: Apr 2004
  • Intro Written Apr 15, 2004

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2008 at 3:23 PM

A friend was asking me about the Dubbo zoo just yesterday Doug, and I couldn't answer not having ever been there. I sent her in your direction though. Great page, thank you.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 5:16 PM

You've reminded me that we really do need to stop over in Dubbo and look around - many years since we did so: usually just buy petrol and roll on. Very enjoyable.

• jungles's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 5:59 AM

Nice page, love the siamangs. But what's going on with the headless one?

• wayneconnor's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2006 at 4:57 PM

Siamung apes are our favourite too! Wayne http://dubbo.org

• Orkaena's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2005 at 7:31 PM

I imagine my little Taz jumping at the zoo... and the whole aussie fauna in danger!! at all, grrreat choice.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2005 at 4:53 AM

Comprehensive and informative. I vividly remember sitting watching the gibbons for about 20 minutes swinging along that rope.

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2005 at 7:25 PM

I just like the name "Dubbo"...know nothing about it except what you have provided here. My travels plans: 2006; Greece and 2007; Tibet..... Sorry, no Australia in near future.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2005 at 1:48 PM

This is good stuff!!

• Feb 25, 2005 at 6:10 AM

Dubbo sure is worth a visit & the Zoo is definitely a beauty. Your other tips are good value too.

• Feb 23, 2005 at 3:51 AM

You love bookshops as much as I do so you can't be too bad a bloke. Very helpful & accurate tips on a place not enough overseas visitors get to.

aussiedoug

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Dubbo