"Artesian Spa Capital of Australia" Moree by aussiedoug

Moree Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 43 photos

Gateway to the Outback

Was in Moree Monday April 5 with 2 colleagues; Vicki O'Rourke & Michelle Neaverson, running a workshop with school teams involved in LARK (Literacy Action Research Kit) Online. Warialda Public School, Warialda High School & Bingara Central School were in attendance. A productive day was had by all.

So when we finished at 3.30 p.m. we went to have coffee at Vision Cafe (supposed to be the best in town) then cruised the shops & galleries. Next was a visit and dip in one of the hot springs at one of the motels/resorts. Then finished off with dinner at a really good Thai restaurant. Lastly flew back to Sydney about an hour or so later than intended. See my transportation tip for why.

See Sweetberry1's Moree page for some fascinating historical info about Moree, particularly in regard to the Aboriginal people who were here many tens of thousands of years before Anglo/Australians arrived to forever change their lifestyles.

Today Moree is probably best known as one of the best agricultural regions in New South Wales & possibly Australia. Cotton is a big income producing crop in the area not just here, but stretching across to neighbouring Narrabri. Cattle, Sheep, Pecan Nuts,Cereal Products & Olives are other income producing primary industries in the shire.

Of course, it's also extremely well known, apparently overseas as well as throughout Australia, for its Hot Springs & their supposedly health-giving properties. I have to say that my little experience with them rejuvenated me & made me feel a lot healthier.

There is also a strong local art scene, as evidenced by not only the Moree Plains Gallery (see one of my must see activities), but also other galleries such as "Narara" which sells Aboriginal Fine Arts & Craft. (see my shopping tip)

The Town In Geographical Context

Moree is a relatively small town of around 10 000 people & amazes me with its attractions & their diversity despite its small size. Moree Shire on the other hand, has over 15 000 inhabitants & covers an area of 17 582 square kms.

It is approximately 640kms northwest of Sydney, under 2 hours to the Queensland border.

Click on the map accompanying this to see the town in some sort of geographical context within this section of New South Wales.

• Pros:Interesting inland town
  • Cons:Bit hot compared to lovely temperate Sydney
  • In a nutshell:Definitely worth a visit! I'll be back!
  • Last visit to Moree: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 16, 2004

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2008 at 9:06 AM

As always, wonderful page...great tour. Thanks for the B-day wishes. Spending a marvelous day with my husband.

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2005 at 9:41 PM

I thought "chuffed" was to be angry but it must mean happy since this is a very nice write up ! BTW it was Ozzies that introduced me to Thai food & we had a delicious Thai lunch with them yesterday. Seems you Ozzies are in the know.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2005 at 1:54 PM

Wonderful Page... great information as always!

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2005 at 6:21 PM

One of the signs of a true traveler is that he makes the most of even business trips - well done!

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2004 at 1:00 PM

Ohhh what a lovely page Doug. Sure this town has changed in 25 years since iwas there. I had a haircut there many years ago ....not many cafes there then of course. You seem a connoisseur of fine coffee too!!

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2004 at 3:54 PM

Neat page, keep up the travelling in 2005

• BarbaraForza's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2004 at 5:52 AM

I was curious to know more about it, looks nice, esp the pool...lol

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2004 at 9:59 AM

I'm sorry Doug, but out of all the tips and photos I've seen, the one of you sitting here in a dress shirt is the most surprising! Love it! P.S. you DO love your hot springs, pools and massages, don't you?!!

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2004 at 1:30 AM

Kookaburra sits in plane engine three, Qantas frequent flyer of the bush is he... Stop, kookaburra, STOP...short your life must be!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2004 at 8:02 PM

I have never been here Doug, my loss I know...but it reminds me of our Hanmer Springs, hot pools in the winter......what a blessing

aussiedoug

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Moree