"Artesian Spa Capital of Australia" Moree by aussiedoug
Moree Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 50 photos
Was in Moree Monday April 5 with 2 colleagues; Vicki O'Rourke & Michelle Neaverson, running a workshop with school teams involved in LARK (Literacy Action Research Kit) Online. Warialda Public School, Warialda High School & Bingara Central School were in attendance. A productive day was had by all.
So when we finished at 3.30 p.m. we went to have coffee at Vision Cafe (supposed to be the best in town) then cruised the shops & galleries. Next was a visit and dip in one of the hot springs at one of the motels/resorts. Then finished off with dinner at a really good Thai restaurant. Lastly flew back to Sydney about an hour or so later than intended. See my transportation tip for why.
See Sweetberry1's Moree page for some fascinating historical info about Moree, particularly in regard to the Aboriginal people who were here many tens of thousands of years before Anglo/Australians arrived to forever change their lifestyles.
Today Moree is probably best known as one of the best agricultural regions in New South Wales & possibly Australia. Cotton is a big income producing crop in the area not just here, but stretching across to neighbouring Narrabri. Cattle, Sheep, Pecan Nuts,Cereal Products & Olives are other income producing primary industries in the shire.
Of course, it's also extremely well known, apparently overseas as well as throughout Australia, for its Hot Springs & their supposedly health-giving properties. I have to say that my little experience with them rejuvenated me & made me feel a lot healthier.
There is also a strong local art scene, as evidenced by not only the Moree Plains Gallery (see one of my must see activities), but also other galleries such as "Narara" which sells Aboriginal Fine Arts & Craft. (see my shopping tip)
Moree is a relatively small town of around 10 000 people & amazes me with its attractions & their diversity despite its small size. Moree Shire on the other hand, has over 15 000 inhabitants & covers an area of 17 582 square kms.
It is approximately 640kms northwest of Sydney, under 2 hours to the Queensland border.
Click on the map accompanying this to see the town in some sort of geographical context within this section of New South Wales.
- Pros:Interesting inland town
- Cons:Bit hot compared to lovely temperate Sydney
- In a nutshell:Definitely worth a visit! I'll be back!
MOREE FOOD WINE & ART FESTIVAL This sounds like a great weekend indeed & I would love for us to get up here for the... more travel advice
This is quite an upmarket shop designed for those with a bit of cash (or credit card) to spare. Unfortunately we three... more travel advice
aussiedoug's Related Pages
Moree Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Artesian Spa Capital of Australia"
- "Rich town, poor town"
- "MOREE - HOME OF ARTESIAN SPAS"
- "Sweetberry's Moree Page"
- "Moree and it's Artesian Spas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moree
- Hotels in Moree
- Transportation in Moree
- Restaurants in Moree
- Shopping in Moree
- Warnings and Dangers in Moree
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moree
- 9 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Moree?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moree
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Solo traveller looking for..."
- Commented on one of Joseph69's Moree travel pages
- Wrote a Review Moree on a Plate, with Wine & Art in Moree Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Moree on a Plate, with Wine & Art"
- updated a Moree Travel Page "Artesian Spa Capital of Australia"
Photos in MoreeSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coogee Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- North Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hepburn Springs Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haleiwa Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kilda Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos