"Was Once A Steel City" Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle by aussiedoug
Newcastle Travel Guide: 347 reviews and 613 photos
To explain "Was Once A Steel City", I first visited Newcastle as a part of of a High School excursion (field trip to you Americans) to visit the then two most important industries of the area. Firstly, the Oak Diary Products factory near Hexham just out of Newcastle then the BHP Steelworks which for so many years were the lifeblood of Newcastle. Unfortunately these steelworks that were so important to this city also caused a lot of air pollution in particular that made the suburbs around it, including the city centre of Newcastle, a less than desireable place in my opinion.
I've been to Newcastle 3 times in the last 3 years & hold it in much higher esteem than I did back then. Twice I have worked with teachers at Noah's on the Beach, overlooking Newcastle City Beach & just a week or so ago spent a few nights here while my wife was attending a conference. This was a great opportunity to have a bit more of an indepth look at Newcastle.
I, along with many Novocastrians wondered what would happen to Newcastle when BHP closed down the Steelworks some years back.
Well today the air is much cleaner & one of the things I really enjoyed was seeing so many ships coming in and out of the Hunter River into this very busy port. Staying at the Crowne Plaza in the newly developed (& still growing) Honeysuckle Precinct, right on the river/harbour afforded my girls & I plenty of opportunities to watch the wonderful tugboats helping ships in and out of this port.
This particular photo of the ship, "Cupid Feather" was one of over 20 I took of a number of different ships over the 2 and half days we were there
Yes I think today Newcastle is still reinventing itself , many respects in the 10 or so years since the Steelworks closed down. It's an interesting place with some interesting history, some excellent beaches & some good shopping, eating & coffee options, particularly in Darby Street.
Now the pressure is on me to add some more tips so I'd best get cracking! lol!
- In a nutshell:Definitely worth a visit
Well I say the above with tongue planted in cheek, but when you click on this photo to enlarge it then you may well see... more travel advice
aussiedoug's Related Pages
Newcastle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The 21st century, puts the "new" back in Newcastle"
- "Beach Days, Harbour Sights, City Nights"
- "WHY AM I DOING HERE ????"
- "Was Once A Steel City"
- "Sweetberry's Newcastle Page"
- "NEWCASTLE - DISCOVERED IN 1797"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newcastle
- Hotels in Newcastle
- Transportation in Newcastle
- Nightlife in Newcastle
- Restaurants in Newcastle
- Shopping in Newcastle
- Warnings and Dangers in Newcastle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newcastle
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Newcastle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newcastle
Photos in NewcastleSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coogee Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- North Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hepburn Springs Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haleiwa Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kilda Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos