"Was Once A Steel City" Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle by aussiedoug

Newcastle Travel Guide: 347 reviews and 613 photos

But today?

To explain "Was Once A Steel City", I first visited Newcastle as a part of of a High School excursion (field trip to you Americans) to visit the then two most important industries of the area. Firstly, the Oak Diary Products factory near Hexham just out of Newcastle then the BHP Steelworks which for so many years were the lifeblood of Newcastle. Unfortunately these steelworks that were so important to this city also caused a lot of air pollution in particular that made the suburbs around it, including the city centre of Newcastle, a less than desireable place in my opinion.

I've been to Newcastle 3 times in the last 3 years & hold it in much higher esteem than I did back then. Twice I have worked with teachers at Noah's on the Beach, overlooking Newcastle City Beach & just a week or so ago spent a few nights here while my wife was attending a conference. This was a great opportunity to have a bit more of an indepth look at Newcastle.

I, along with many Novocastrians wondered what would happen to Newcastle when BHP closed down the Steelworks some years back.

Today still a busy Port - Cupid Feather entering

Well today the air is much cleaner & one of the things I really enjoyed was seeing so many ships coming in and out of the Hunter River into this very busy port. Staying at the Crowne Plaza in the newly developed (& still growing) Honeysuckle Precinct, right on the river/harbour afforded my girls & I plenty of opportunities to watch the wonderful tugboats helping ships in and out of this port.

This particular photo of the ship, "Cupid Feather" was one of over 20 I took of a number of different ships over the 2 and half days we were there

I couldn't finish without a sunset pic could I!

Yes I think today Newcastle is still reinventing itself , many respects in the 10 or so years since the Steelworks closed down. It's an interesting place with some interesting history, some excellent beaches & some good shopping, eating & coffee options, particularly in Darby Street.

Now the pressure is on me to add some more tips so I'd best get cracking! lol!

• In a nutshell:Definitely worth a visit
  • Last visit to Newcastle: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2006

• craic's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2007 at 8:53 PM

newcastle is a great place isn't it - full of charm

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 4:52 PM

I look at your pics of that glorious coastline and imagine what it must have been like before mankind came along. Awesome cliffs and beaches.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2006 at 11:43 AM

Did you know that Nobbys is going to be an upmarket B&B and restaurant? Also, when Newcastle was at its dirtiest the air was still 9 times cleaner than Sydney's?

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2006 at 7:47 AM

Tx for stopping by my Paris page. Just had to check out this page - stopped off in Newcastle some years ago, just 'cos of the name. The English Newcastle is 1 of my favourite cities and my husband's home town. Adding photos and tips soon I hope ;-)

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2006 at 5:27 PM

Over the last 20 or so years I haven't visited Newcastle or anywhere near the beaches, but I can see that it is a lot cleaner than it was in the old days. I did stop over at Maitland in '97 though. Carole.

• Mar 9, 2006 at 9:24 PM

Newcastle was my home 4 a while & u've written it up pretty well.

• JimBeware's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2006 at 4:58 AM

Lived in Newcastle for a while & found Darby Street pretty cool to hang out in.

• ancientmariner's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2005 at 4:16 AM

As a one time Novocastrian I can say this is not a bad write up Doug. Not bad some travelling with work is it!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2005 at 11:16 PM

did you hear Andrew Johns is quitting League? what a loss, I like the Guy from Newcastle great surf pic. Doug you have a fine imagination..Mount Saint Michel..Nobby's Head, made me giggle..good on ya matey!!

• hekate's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2005 at 8:40 AM

Well, I would like to go there during the time of the Surfest :))) And I always get hungry when I read your restaurant tips :)))))

aussiedoug

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Newcastle

Have you been to Newcastle?

Latest Activity in Newcastle