"My Home Town" North Haven by aussiedoug
North Haven Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 22 photos
North Haven and even called North Heaven by some!
It is a beautiful spot located about 350 km north of Sydney on the lower part of the mid north coast of New South Wales. The village is located on the north bank of the Camden Haven River where it empties into the sea via its estuary. On the south bank of the river opposite is the pretty village of Dunbogan. The largest village of the three , Laurieton lies on the river at the foot of North Brother Mountain (really just a little hill to you Europeans and Americans) and these three make up this section of the Camden Haven District. North Brother Mountain was named by Captain Cook along with South Brother and Middle Brother (on which you'll find the Bird Tree - one of the biggest blackbutt trees in N.S.W.).
I always enjoy showing visitors the view from on top of North Brother overlooking the three villages and the estuary which includes a salt water lake named Googlies Lagoon, on which Bob Hope, the famous American comedian crash landed during World War 2. A local fisherman, Bunny Wallace picked them up in his boat & apparently Bob Hope put on a show in the Laurieton School of Arts. Bet that wowed the locals as it really would have been hicksville back then.
The piccie shows North haven on the left bank of the Camden Haven
river, Dunbogan on the southern bank and Laurieton, the largest and commercial centre of the area, below North Brother Mountain
This photo shows a glimpse of the northern breakwater (what most of us still call "the Wall") of the Camden Haven river then North Haven beach. Mind you, it's technically "Grant's Beach", but I don't know anyone who calls it anything other than North Haven beach! However, the Headland you can see at the northern end, a distance of approximately 2 kilometres, is Grant's Head.
Having had this as the main photo for so long I had to add it here somewhere.
As I've stated above. This is a must see/do thing when staying anywhere in the area, not just at North Haven.
The view from the other side towards the other two Brother Mountains, Middle Brother & South Brother & looking down towards Diamond Head & past it through Crowdy Bay National Park to the little village of Crowdy Head is rather beautfiul too.
You really must come here to enjoy the view for yourselves. Don't just take my word for it.
- Pros:Beautiful Coastal Setting
- Cons:Pace of life can be too slow in winter (for me)
- In a nutshell:North Heaven, especially in Summer time
North Haven is the ideal place to use a bicycle to get around. It is not only flat so you can determine the pace & level... more travel advice
Seems funny writing an accommodation tip for North Haven when we can stay with my mum just 5 minutes walk to the beach.... more travel advice
aussiedoug's Related Pages
North Haven Travel Guide
- Things to Do in North Haven
- Hotels in North Haven
- Transportation in North Haven
- Restaurants in North Haven
- Shopping in North Haven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in North Haven
- 13 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 72 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to North Haven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Haven
Photos in North HavenSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coogee Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- North Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hepburn Springs Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haleiwa Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kilda Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos