"Just About Centre of the Barossa Valley" Tanunda by aussiedoug
Tanunda Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 18 photos
Many people think Tanunda is a German name, in keeping with the Barossa Valley's largely German heritage. However, its original German name was "Langmeil" when it was settled by mostly German settlers from 1839 onwards. "Tanunda" is an aboriginal term supposedly meaning either, 'watering hole', or 'many birds on a creek' and was adopted in either 1842 or 1843.
Today it still retains quite a German feel to it and is pretty much the centre or heart, of the lovely winemaking region - the Barossa Valley - my favourite wine region in Australia with Margaret River coming a close second.
- Pros:Great place as part of a Barossa visit
- Cons:None that I can think of
Will have to finish this later, been sick the last 3 days & feels like it's coming back to get me again!!!!!! more travel advice
aussiedoug's Related Pages
Tanunda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Just About Centre of the Barossa Valley"
- "The heart of the Barossa Valley!!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tanunda
- Hotels in Tanunda
- Transportation in Tanunda
- Restaurants in Tanunda
- Warnings and Dangers in Tanunda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tanunda
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Tanunda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tanunda
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coogee Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- North Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hepburn Springs Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haleiwa Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kilda Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos