"Just About Centre of the Barossa Valley" Tanunda by aussiedoug

Tanunda Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 18 photos

Historic German town

Many people think Tanunda is a German name, in keeping with the Barossa Valley's largely German heritage. However, its original German name was "Langmeil" when it was settled by mostly German settlers from 1839 onwards. "Tanunda" is an aboriginal term supposedly meaning either, 'watering hole', or 'many birds on a creek' and was adopted in either 1842 or 1843.
Today it still retains quite a German feel to it and is pretty much the centre or heart, of the lovely winemaking region - the Barossa Valley - my favourite wine region in Australia with Margaret River coming a close second.

• Pros:Great place as part of a Barossa visit
  • Cons:None that I can think of
  • Last visit to Tanunda: Oct 2003
  • Intro Written Dec 8, 2003

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2009 at 2:41 AM

Yep, Charlie Melton does indeed make good wines. Such a choice in that area though! I generally finish up at Rockfords.

• May 25, 2004 at 4:42 AM

I'm quite partial to a nice drop of Barossa red myself. Charles Meltons & Rockford's so close together make for an excellent couple of hours of wine tasting.

• May 8, 2004 at 5:08 AM

Vin Rouge is my favourite tipple I have to say, but I've yet to try a Charles Melton red. I suppose I need to remedy that!

• ancientmariner's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2004 at 3:28 AM

Terrific spot in the lovely Barossa Valley & Charlie Meltons's red certainly are amogst the best in the valley. Still have a couple in my modest little cellar, but no Ports in Port lol!

• GeminiKerry's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2004 at 2:37 AM

One of the best wineries in the Barossa for sure. That Rose of Virginia is a lovely wine indeed!

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2004 at 11:17 PM

Ok, so how was the wine that you stored up for Christmas?

• lovinoz's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2003 at 1:25 PM

Yep! Tanunda is certainly a great place to visit! You should check out Orlando winery next time you're in the Barossa ... my favorite is their dessert port! :)

aussiedoug

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Tanunda

Have you been to Tanunda?