"Jogja!" Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta by rite_of_spring
Yogyakarta Travel Guide: 779 reviews and 2,082 photos
Yogyakarta, or Yogya for short (pronounced as Jogja), is the cultural hub of Java. It is also an intellectual centre, with many prestigious universities and academies around.
As Java premiere tourist centre, this city is an easy access for an insight into Javanese culture, such as batik, silver, wayang kulit, pottery and performing arts (eg. the famous Ramayana Ballet).
Geographically it lies between 2 of Java's most mystical symbols -- Mount Merapi in the north and the Indian Ocean in the south.
Yogya is an ideal base to explore nearby star attractions: including the UNESCO-listed world heritage sites -- Borobudur and Prambanan temples.
I visited Yogya during Chinese New Year, travelled solo. Without a clear idea of what to do, my initial plan was to visit Borobudur, Prambanan, and trek the Mount Merapi. Unfortunately I got terrible diarrhoea (it happened again!) before boarding, thanks for the breakfast that I took in Changi Airport. I spent the first day of my trip in Jakarta airport, due to the delay in domestic flight. This had cut down my actual days into 3 full days, which is pretty short for detailed exploration. Due to my poor tummy, I had to give up the plan of trekking Mount Merapi, only managed to appreciate its beauty from a great distance. Nevertheless, I'd got something which I would never think of doing it if I got good tummy and the weather was good (ie. sunny day), stay tuned.....:)
- Pros:The people--friendly and easy-going; delicious food; rich culture.
- Cons:'Pay and pay' country, especially for tourists.
- In a nutshell:A country with great diversity. Should not miss it!
It's very common for the trishaw riders to try to persuade you to visit the batik shop or silver galery nearby as... more travel advice
Another star attraction of Central Java. It is a group of temples with the largest temple dedicated to Shiva, two other... more travel advice
rite_of_spring's Related Pages
Yogyakarta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Royal Capital of Indonesia"
- "The cultural authentic heart of Java!"
- "Wonderful people, beautiful city"
- "::Sugeng Rawuh ing Ngayogyakarta Hadiningrat::"
- "A Weekend in Jogja"
- "IMPREXXION: YOGYAKARTA-BOROBUDOR-PRAMBANAN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yogyakarta
- Hotels in Yogyakarta
- Transportation in Yogyakarta
- Nightlife in Yogyakarta
- Restaurants in Yogyakarta
- Shopping in Yogyakarta
- Warnings and Dangers in Yogyakarta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yogyakarta
- 24 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Yogyakarta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yogyakarta
Photos in YogyakartaSee All Photos (25)
Top 5 Pages
- New Zealand Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
- Singapore Intro, 41 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Kuching Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Nepal Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos, 3 travelogues