"Uruguay" Uruguay by realde14
Uruguay Travel Guide: 1,418 reviews and 3,372 photos
I have been to Uruguay several times over the last two years or so, and it is a country that I really have come to like it.
Somehow, Uruguay reminds me of growing up in the Seventies (and I mean this with a certain melancholic nostalgia and not with sarcasm). It is a place that doesn't seem to have developed a lot over the last 30 years, and where everything seems to be a bit stuck in time. In Montevideo, the buildings need a bit of renovation, the wide avenues and streets also. The men wear their hair a bit too long, and the women are friendly and pretty.
You see quite a number of older people since a lot of the younger Uruguayans have left since the financial crisis hit the country in 2002. The exception is Punta del Este, which comes to life when every summer Argentine's rich and beautiful turn this place into the see-and-must-see town south of the equator
Overall, Uruguay is a very pleasant and charming place, with plenty of things to visit like the beautifully old Colonia for example. Obviously it is a much smaller and more provincial country than neighbouring Argentina or Brazil but also a lot less hectic where people have time to sit down on a parkbench and talk.
- In a nutshell:Small charming and inexplicably melancholic - like Tango
Soccer is by far the most important spectator sports in Uruguay. When you have the chance you should go and check out a... more travel advice
realde14's Related Pages
Uruguay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "unknown URUGUAY"
- "Río de los pájaros Pintados (Painted Birds' River)"
- "URUGUAY .... HERE WE COME...."
- "Gold Coast"
- "Don't skip over it!"
- "One large city and then wide open spaces"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uruguay
- Hotels in Uruguay
- Transportation in Uruguay
- Nightlife in Uruguay
- Restaurants in Uruguay
- Shopping in Uruguay
- Warnings and Dangers in Uruguay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uruguay
- 42 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Uruguay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uruguay
Top 10 Pages
- Brazil Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Argentina Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Uruguay Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 13 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 17 reviews, 11 photos
- São Paulo Intro, 17 reviews, 11 photos
- Montevideo Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Santiago Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ushuaia Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos