"Foz - the other side of the Iguassu Falls" Foz do Iguaçu by realde14
Foz do Iguaçu Travel Guide: 270 reviews and 645 photos
Foz is on the Brazilian side of the river Parana, which separates Brazil from Paraguay and on the Brazilian side of the Iguazu river, separating it from Argentina. The tri-border area is notorious for drug-trafficking, contra-band, and shady caracters. This is obviously not the reason why people come here. It is the spectacular Iguazu falls that attract the tourists, and they are well worth a visit.
I arrived in Foz after I spent couple of weeks working in the megacities of Sao Paulo and Rio. I had to get used to the provincial life and slow pace first, but really started to enjoy it soon.
Foz is nothing pretty and as said, it just serves as a gateway to the Iguazu Falls, the Itaipu dam as well as a crossing over to Paraguay's Ciudad del Este, to which Foz is connected to by the Ponte de Amizade, the friendship bridge. It should be more aptly called the contraband bridge, where cheap electronics and other contraband can be acquired on the paraguauyan side of the Parana river.
It is pretty provincial here, but there are some nightlife options like Bamba, where you can listen to typical Southern Brazilian country music. A lot of dancing, beer drinking and steamy atmospere.
There is a bit of a frontier feeling with lots of recent immigrants from Arabic countries mainly, which seem to control most of the commerce on Avenida Brasil, sort of the main shopping street in Foz
More to come!
This is a zoological park that exhibits birds from around the world, with a main focus on South America. It is located... more travel advice
realde14's Related Pages
Foz do Iguaçu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Iguacu: Big Water"
- "Doorway to the Falls"
- "Foz do Iguazu - Attractions All Around!"
- "Foz do Iguacu"
- "Gateway City to the best Waterfalls I've ever seen"
- "Defies description"
- "Gateway to Iguacu Falls"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Foz do Iguaçu
- Hotels in Foz do Iguaçu
- Transportation in Foz do Iguaçu
- Nightlife in Foz do Iguaçu
- Restaurants in Foz do Iguaçu
- Shopping in Foz do Iguaçu
- Warnings and Dangers in Foz do Iguaçu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Foz do Iguaçu
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Foz do Iguaçu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Foz do Iguaçu
Top 10 Pages
- Brazil Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Argentina Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Uruguay Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 13 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 17 reviews, 11 photos
- São Paulo Intro, 17 reviews, 11 photos
- Montevideo Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Santiago Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ushuaia Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos