"Class Trip to Pangnirtung" Pangnirtung by rexanna_keats

Pangnirtung Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 14 photos

Raw Caribou Meat! Yum! Yum!

I visited Pangnirtung with my ninth grade class in 1984. "Pangnirtung — "the place of the bull caribou" — is located on a narrow coastal plain against a spectacular backdrop of high mountains and a winding river valley."

Speaking of caribou meat, the family that I was billeted with thought that meat was cooked when it changed colour on the outside. Once, when I open a wooden box outside their house, I discovered several severed caribou heads staring back at me. The family ate their caribou raw on the floor on a garbage bag. They cut off the meat with moon-shaped knives.

We travelled the frozen winding river valley on snowmobiles and sleds to go fishing for artic char in the nearby Auyuittuq National Park.

"The truncated twin peaks of [Auyuittuq National Park's] Mount Asgard can be seen from the Summit Lake area. Visitors may recognize Asgard from the James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me."

While in Pangnirtung, we were invited to visit the set of "The Last Place on Earth." The cast and crew flew into Pangnirtung with us.

While on the set, we got to meet a James Bond villain. "Pat Roach, recognizable as the health club assassin in the 1983 James Bond film, Never Say Never Again, enacted the husky P.O. Edgar Evans, and Pat Roach, recognizable as the health club assassin in the 1983 James Bond film, Never Say Never Again, enacted the husky P.O. Edgar Evans, and Max Von Sydow, who played another James Bond villain from the same film, special-guest-starred as Fridtjov Nansen." I believe that we met the later, rather than the former, since he was a star of the series. Regardless, he was not recognizable in his period costume as he awoke from a nap in a sled.

It is possible that we met the young Hugh Grant while we were on the set. Hugh Grant was a member of the cast of The Last Place on Earth.

• Pros:It gave me an appreciation of the diversity in Canada.
  • Cons:Travel to and from is expensive, as is food.
  • In a nutshell:Glad I took the trip.
  • Last visit to Pangnirtung: Dec 1993
  • Intro Written Feb 28, 2005

Comments

rexanna_keats' Related Pages

rexanna_keats

“Serit arbores quoe alteri seculo prosint”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Pangnirtung

Have you been to Pangnirtung?

Latest Activity in Pangnirtung