"Mont-Saint-Michel" Mont Saint Michel by orlandom
Mont Saint Michel Travel Guide: 313 reviews and 1,100 photos
Mont Saint Michel is a monastery built at the top of a rocky islet that overlooks the sea, right at the border between Brittany and Normandy. The statue of Archangel Saint Michael towers 560 feet above the English Channel. Mont Saint Michel was an island until a causeway was built at the end of the 19th century. It was separated from the mainland by one mile of sand at low tide, or by water at high tide. The range in tides is one of the greatest in Europe: it can be 46 feet between high and low water marks. The bay around the Mont is absolutely flat and the rising tide is said to sometimes match the speed of a galloping horse. In the early 8th century, according to catholic lore, Archangel Saint Michael instructed the bishop of Avranches, Saint Aubert, to build the monastery. From the year 1000 on, and for 6 consecutive centuries thereafter, the Dukes of Normandy and the pilgrims financed the construction of additional structures despite the difficulty of building on an island only accessible by foot. During the French Revolution, the fortified abbey became a prison for political opponents. Mont Saint Michel was designated an official French National Heritage Site in 1872 and is restored on a yearly basis by the French Government, much to the delight of its visitors. This is one of my top 10 places to see in the world. This is really a magical place and an amazing place to see. Me and my wife visited this place in august 1994 on are honeymoon on a trip across France and it was what stayed in my head to this day, we’ve seen Paris and Versailles and many beautiful places in France but this to me was the most amazing and memorial. And I will see it again if god permits it. This is a must see if you go to France and worth every effort to see, you will not be disappointed. Spend a whole day There so you can see it in high tide and low tide, and see the magical transformation of an island into a desert island, there is many thing’s to see from the monastery to the old houses that are now shops and restaurants and there is the street’s and pathways all around the island.
Another place that remainde’s me of this place is a small hill town in Italy called Civita di Bagnoregio (The Dieing town) and this town is 2500 year’s old you can see this place on my V.T website at htttp://members.virtualtourist.com/m/5ed6f/22ab4c/ or just go to my Italy page
Here shows how they got there supplys up to the buildings with this elevator more travel advice
This is one of the big buildin's in saint Michel more travel advice
orlandom's Related Pages
Mont Saint Michel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A place that simply redefines 'awesome'!"
- "Mont St Michel - "The Marvel of the Western World""
- "Merveille de l’Occident"
- "A wonderful corner of France"
- "A shock for the eyes and the soul"
- "Le Mont Saint Michel, the western wonder"
- "Mont St-Michel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mont Saint Michel
- Hotels in Mont Saint Michel
- Transportation in Mont Saint Michel
- Nightlife in Mont Saint Michel
- Restaurants in Mont Saint Michel
- Shopping in Mont Saint Michel
- Warnings and Dangers in Mont Saint Michel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mont Saint Michel
- 12 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Mont Saint Michel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mont Saint Michel
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niagara Falls Intro, 37 reviews, 113 photos
- Italy Intro, 55 reviews, 94 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 56 reviews, 81 photos
- Rome Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paestum Intro, 32 reviews, 61 photos
- Milan Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Pisa Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos
- Naples Intro, 10 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobermory Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos
- Pitigliano Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos