"Roanoke" Top 5 Page for this destination Roanoke by HotSpotJ
Roanoke Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 119 photos
I was born and raised in the city of Roanoke, Virginia, which now has the population of around 100K, along with the hopefully soon-to-be consolidated cities of Vinton, Salem, and Roanoke county the population should be well over that. The city is a decent city that means well, though if you are young and ambitious it frustrates you as much as it comforts you to live in this city. The economy here is not booming yet, though the real estate is so affordable it may soon be an attractive place to move givin the insane price of living of other cities with any type of industry or economy.
The city of Roanoke and its surroundings has some very cool things to do under the sun, especially if you are into family events. Go downtown on the market and experience some old-time southern hospitality, drive on the parkway and have a picnic, or drive out to the nearby Appalachain trail and have a hiking weekend. The single person here still doesn't have alot, because it is such a family oriented city, but it is improving with some events in Elmwood Park and afternoon First Fridays in downtown during the Spring/Summer.
Roanoke isn't a town with a nightly menu of events like other top cities in America, There is limited amount of nightlife here, so on most weeknights you won't find those balls-to-the-wall clubs like you would in Miami or even Charlotte, but the nightlife here on weekends is comfortable and if you go out enough the entire city will feel like Cheers- where everybody knows your name.
- Pros:Secure, low crime, hospitable people, great views, affordable real estate.
- Cons:ghetto/redneck mixed culture in some parts, stagnant nightlife, low income jobs, no decent pro sports, hours away from a real metropolis
- In a nutshell:A beautiful city that can be so much more if it wanted to be.
One of the more recognizeable Roanoke landmarks is St. Andrews Catholic Church, as it stands high above the major... more travel advice
April 2007 brought with it the opening of 202 Market in downtown Roanoke. Formally known as Saltories and then Paradox,... more travel advice
- See All New Orleans meets Star City
- Historic Signs
- See All A Piece of Roanoke History
- Yellow Cab
- Peaks of Otter
HotSpotJ's Related Pages
Roanoke Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Roanoke - Virginia's Railroad City"
- "Roanoke, Virginia"
- "Downtown Roanoke"
- "roanoke...where i spent most of my days..."
- "LilBearsm0ma's new Roanoke Page"
- "SchuminWeb's Roanoke Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roanoke
- Hotels in Roanoke
- Transportation in Roanoke
- Nightlife in Roanoke
- Restaurants in Roanoke
- Shopping in Roanoke
- Warnings and Dangers in Roanoke
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roanoke
- 55 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Roanoke?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roanoke
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 81 reviews, 196 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Beach Intro, 81 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roanoke Intro, 55 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hollywood Intro, 34 reviews, 62 photos
- Chicago Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 25 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blacksburg Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siesta Key Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
No friends yet.