Miami Beach Warnings Or Dangers Tips by HotSpotJ Top 5 Page for this destination
Miami Beach Warnings and Dangers: 60 reviews and 33 photos
Almost 90 degrees at 8AM in March!
If you visit South Beach in the summer, please be aware of the heat... it gets hot here, really hot,so make sure you have some cold water around if you are out on the beach or coming out of the clubs...
Bad News on Television
It seems as if a hurricane meets me every late summer trip to Miami.... as Katrina approaches warnings like this are seen on the television screen... I know it really ruins a vacations mood, but always be aware of the storms status if you are on vacation when one approaches.
The wind picks up as IVAN hits Cuba (9-2004)
Some tips for Florida travel during Hurricane season
1- Know your season. The National Hurricane Center is centered in Miami and has all sorts of facts and figures and graphs they use for predicting the likeliness for a hurricane. The season generally runs between June and October, with the height of the season running late August to late September.
2- Prepare- If you do travel to Southern Florida during that peak season, take with you a few things just in case. A nice, covering parka or raincoat, a mini flashlight, and most importantly some extra cash/credit for possible extra nights or air transfers. And, for those who have never been in a hurricane, remember- umbrellas are useless. Also, remember to check with your airline, hotel, and car rental agencies on their natural disaster policies. If you're going to Miami for an event, be aware of your ticketholder cancellation policy. Many events will be cancelled due to even a remote threat of an approaching Hurricane.
3- Stay Savvy and Smart- Remember, if you are in Miami, and a few things gets cancelled,no big deal... the party in this city does not stop. A glancing blow will not stop the party in this city. But if there is a direct hit forecast, you have to be smart- if you are told to evacuate, do so. Clear your hotel and let the authorities lead you to safety. Hurricane parties are awesome, but make sure you are safe. Staying in a South Beach Hotel will not protect from the surge or flying glass. Though not below sea level like New Orleans, beware floods and surge as well.
4- Remain Optimistic- Florida isn't one of the worlds top travel destinations for nothing! Miami and Miami Beach are remarkable locations which should be enjoyed year round. If there is no activity in the Atlantic, it usually takes a few days to develop, so go worry free. If there is activity, we have tons of info that will help us make smart travel plans!!! The Hurricane Centers website is listed below
With all the fun and energy, you still have to remember, South Beach is part of Miami, a city that has had its share of crime. In July 2003 I was walking back around 5AM from some girls hotel on 16th to mine on 5th and the police were roping off an area where 2 guys had just been shot. It made me think what if, and I've cabbed it ever since if I'm out that late. If you do run into trouble, there are two police stations, one on the beach and one a couple blocks in, help is just 3 digits away.
More Reviews (77)
- See All Vegas meets Miami
- See All Florida Marlins Baseball
- See All South Beach Parking Part II
- See All A Noisy Taste of Europe
- See All Menu Shopping
- See All The Shamrock in South Beach
HotSpotJ's Related Pages
Miami Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "South Miami Beach, Miami, Florida"
- "Decadent Holiday in Miami Beach/South Beach"
- "The Best of Miami & Miami Beach"
- "Hexe in South Beach"
- "Very Sexy Miami"
- "South Beach"
- "Lovely Miami"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Miami Beach
- Hotels in Miami Beach
- Transportation in Miami Beach
- Nightlife in Miami Beach
- Restaurants in Miami Beach
- Shopping in Miami Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Miami Beach
- See All...
Explore the World
- Samarskaya Oblast'
- Christian Island Hotels
- Tarech Hotels
- Tagounite Hotels
- Ha Ha Tonka State Park Hotels
- Kaunas Warnings and Dangers
- Copenhagen Warnings and Dangers
- Hikkaduwa Warnings and Dangers
- Vatican City Warnings and Dangers
- West Virginia Warnings and Dangers
- Thiruvananthapuram Warnings and Dangers
- Gatlinburg Warnings and Dangers
- Southern Thailand Warnings and Dangers
- Beggars and Aggressive Vendors
- Manhattan Beach Warnings and Dangers
- Saskatoon Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Miami Beach
- 81 Reviews
- 146 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Miami Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Miami Beach
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 81 reviews, 196 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Beach Intro, 81 reviews, 149 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roanoke Intro, 55 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hollywood Intro, 34 reviews, 62 photos
- Chicago Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 25 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blacksburg Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siesta Key Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
No friends yet.
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Miami Beach hotel reviews
- Travelodge Monaco N Miami Sunny Isles
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Boutique Deco
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2012
- Dorset Hotel
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 2, 2013
- Tides South Beach
- 565 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Century Hotel
- 160 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Chesterfield Hotel
- 781 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- The Villa by Barton G.
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 18, 2013
- Lorraine Hotel
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 19, 2013
- Ramada Marco Polo Beach Resort
- 491 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Geneva Hotel and Suites
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Richmond Suites
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Ocean Grande Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: May 16, 2010