"San Pedro - Backpackers heaven in the desert" Top 5 Page for this destination San Pedro de Atacama by joernme

San Pedro de Atacama Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 635 photos

San Pedro de Atacama is the meeting point for travellers wanting to explore the surrounding Atacama desert as well as geysers and mountains and for those heading to Bolivia by bus. It is a small and quiet town with many simple hostals and now also with a luxury hotel. Most backpackers in Chile will go there, but it still is really worth a visit.

The landscape around is absolutely fascinating! It is the driest desert on Earth. Until I came, at least. I sent some Northern German rain prayers to the sky and all of the sudden it was raining. Don't know if that really helped, but at least it kept raining for 3 days (100m higher it was snow) and the roads were flooded, so that on 2 days we were even cut off from the rest of the world. I did not mind, though, as I found nice people to hang around with and do some rain hiking and snow bathing trips. See more inside...

• Pros:Nature, Nature, Nature
  • Cons:Not really an off the beaten track place anymore
  • In a nutshell:Desert lovers like me - go!
  • Last visit to San Pedro de Atacama: Jun 1996
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2004

• viajeras2's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM

Amazing place. I was there in June. A real place where u can really enjoy peace!

• LuisGuimaraes's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2005 at 5:29 AM

I'll take my time exploring this wonderful page properly! And yes, I agree with you about the mountain waiting for the souls..

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2004 at 6:11 PM

superb page about a distant place.....Atacama, I didn't make it there ....I see what I missed out on. thanx for the virtual trip

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2004 at 8:04 AM

More spectacular photos from the Far North. An excellent journey!

• damaris05's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2004 at 5:42 PM

Wow... Astonishing Photos! San Pedro must be an incredible place to visit!!

• Aug 30, 2004 at 8:22 PM

Really good pictures of San Pedro!!! And an awesome black and white too!! These images are a good reason to head for San Pedro in October...again ;-)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2004 at 3:26 PM

Loved the Licancabur shots. The sort of pages I joined VT for. Note: please come to Australia immediately (we need the rain!)

• Aurorae's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2004 at 8:25 AM

Wow! Breathtaking!! Licancabur photos are among the best I have ever seen!! Fascinating! And the cacti under the snow!!This page is just brilliant!

• percy961's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2004 at 11:39 PM

Some Great photo's, enjoyed visiting your page

• jitkaceska's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2004 at 12:00 AM

I visited SP two years ago and I fully agree with you. I enjoy your pages!

joernme

“This is the most exciting planet I've ever been to!”

Badges & Stats in San Pedro de Atacama

Have you been to San Pedro de Atacama?

Photos in San Pedro de Atacama