"Bremen - I feel this city" Top 5 Page for this destination Bremen by joernme

Bremen Travel Guide: 391 reviews and 1,025 photos

Homeground, my roots, my love, my people!

Most of you guys will have a hometown, I have one, too: Bremen. For me it is a special city anyways, but I also believe there are some things about Bremen that make it a special place also for people from whereever. Most people know that Bremen hosts the famous four animals - the "Bremer Stadtmusikanten". Many people know that Bremen has a beautiful old town, a rich history and one of Germany's best (at the moment THE best football team).

Few will know Bremen is special in so many other ways: It also is the smallest federal state of Germany, consisting only of the 2 cities Bremen (about 550,000 people) and Bremerhaven, Germanys largest port after Hamburg (about 120,000 people). Bremen is an old Hanse city, member of that famous medieval port community. The cities history goes back over 1200 years, the influences of the diverse epoches still can be found in the city, which has not been destroyed as badly as others during WWII.

About the people in Bremen

I would describe people from Bremen as province-cosmopolitans. Bremen does not play in the same league as Berlin, NY or London, thus is a bit provincial compared to those places, but people are very cosmopolitan when it comes to dealing with other races, cultures or opinions. "Bremer" are open-minded and northern-german-like stubborn at the same time. It is very hard to shock people here. Whatever style you dress or however you behave, there will not be many places in the world, where people will treat you as normal as in Bremen (try if you like ;-) )

You don't win peoples hearts here quickly, though. People in the south of Germany tend to be more talkative in the beginning. In Bremen you will need more iniative and patience. But once you have a friend in Bremen you know it'll be forever.

Of course this is also a lot of clichee, but the tendency always proves right over and over again. Isn't it great, globalism can't conquer every aspect of life?

Not having lived in Bremen for the last 9 years, but being very close again since a couple of years I loved this city more and more the more other places I saw. One day, I believe, I will return, because this city has a great living quality, is green, has great areas, great people and great beer.

The Beer from Bremen

The beer, this part of home, Beck's beer, is something I will get all over the world thank God. But believe me, it never tastes as good as back home sitting there at the Weser riverfront. What I really love about this brewerey is coming to Bremen via the Autobahn and the wind is right: One can smell the brewery's great aroma already in the car crossing the river Weser on the Autobahn A1 approaching the city. I always get goose skin when the winds are right - I smell home...

Beck's is not the only beer and the only brand of course. Great in summer is the light "Kr?usen Pils" which will be served in a very special glass. It is light, fresh and sparkling and wonderful for warm summer evenings at the riverside...

About the pics in here!

Actually there is two types of pics in here.

Tpye 1 - is of tthe touristic standard sights I believe you deserve to see as well. Never having been a tourist in this town though, I do not have so many pics showing this side. I asked the Tourism Office if I could use some of their pics, they gave me the ok and so the "classic pics" in here are a mix of official and personal fotos It did take. That's why the sky seems always blue in Bremen ;-) I will try to replace more and more of the official pics with personal ones in the coming months.

Type 2 - Is of my picture tours through the mostly green parts of my town. The typical "Marsch Landscape" outside the city but still within the city borders was area for many of my shots I would like to show you, too. They are not really helpful when planning a trip, but are the cities other side through my eyes and lenses. Hope you enjoy them, too!

• Pros:Beautiful, openminded, relaxed, special flair
  • Cons:It never rains in Southern California..." - Here it does :-)
  • In a nutshell:Great place for living and for visiting
  • Intro Updated Mar 9, 2004

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2010 at 7:13 PM

I'll look forward to the beer. Great page. Well done!

• arlequin_g's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Good page. I'm visiting Bremen next week. I hope it's not too cold : )

• clifm's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 10:24 AM

How much do these houses cost? If they are inexpensive enough i will buy us each one!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Hallo, Joern ! Vielen Dank für Deine schöne Seite über diesen hervorragenden Ort, wo ich noch nicht gewesen bin. Ich drücke den Daumen!

• Oct 25, 2007 at 12:57 AM

Hi! What a wonderful Bremen page! I was just in this beautiful city and really enjoyed seeing your photos (and your info is excellent). - and those cabbage games - potato swinging?? LOL! Prima!!!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2005 at 12:03 PM

great page, can't wait to see Bremen this weekend.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2005 at 7:20 PM

Cabbage party eh? Never heard of such a thing, but looks fun. I am visiting Bremen in May, looks like a fun place.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2004 at 6:00 AM

Wow - Schnoor sounds great (and Dutch?). Not too far as a weekend trip from Malmö...hm...

• Jul 17, 2004 at 11:46 PM

Suuuuper Werder Travelogues. Ich muss mir mal in Ruhe die ganze Seite durchlesen, hab Dich grad erst gefunden ;-) Grüße in die Heimat Niedersachsen!

• Bernd_L's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2004 at 3:59 AM

I just returned from a trip to Bremen and benefited a lot from your tips. Thank you for that.

joernme

“This is the most exciting planet I've ever been to!”

Badges & Stats in Bremen