"Bremen - I feel this city" Top 5 Page for this destination Bremen by joernme
Bremen Travel Guide: 420 reviews and 1,095 photos
Most of you guys will have a hometown, I have one, too: Bremen. For me it is a special city anyways, but I also believe there are some things about Bremen that make it a special place also for people from whereever. Most people know that Bremen hosts the famous four animals - the "Bremer Stadtmusikanten". Many people know that Bremen has a beautiful old town, a rich history and one of Germany's best (at the moment THE best football team).
Few will know Bremen is special in so many other ways: It also is the smallest federal state of Germany, consisting only of the 2 cities Bremen (about 550,000 people) and Bremerhaven, Germanys largest port after Hamburg (about 120,000 people). Bremen is an old Hanse city, member of that famous medieval port community. The cities history goes back over 1200 years, the influences of the diverse epoches still can be found in the city, which has not been destroyed as badly as others during WWII.
About the people in Bremen
I would describe people from Bremen as province-cosmopolitans. Bremen does not play in the same league as Berlin, NY or London, thus is a bit provincial compared to those places, but people are very cosmopolitan when it comes to dealing with other races, cultures or opinions. "Bremer" are open-minded and northern-german-like stubborn at the same time. It is very hard to shock people here. Whatever style you dress or however you behave, there will not be many places in the world, where people will treat you as normal as in Bremen (try if you like ;-) )
You don't win peoples hearts here quickly, though. People in the south of Germany tend to be more talkative in the beginning. In Bremen you will need more iniative and patience. But once you have a friend in Bremen you know it'll be forever.
Of course this is also a lot of clichee, but the tendency always proves right over and over again. Isn't it great, globalism can't conquer every aspect of life?
Not having lived in Bremen for the last 9 years, but being very close again since a couple of years I loved this city more and more the more other places I saw. One day, I believe, I will return, because this city has a great living quality, is green, has great areas, great people and great beer.
The beer, this part of home, Beck's beer, is something I will get all over the world thank God. But believe me, it never tastes as good as back home sitting there at the Weser riverfront. What I really love about this brewerey is coming to Bremen via the Autobahn and the wind is right: One can smell the brewery's great aroma already in the car crossing the river Weser on the Autobahn A1 approaching the city. I always get goose skin when the winds are right - I smell home...
Beck's is not the only beer and the only brand of course. Great in summer is the light "Kr?usen Pils" which will be served in a very special glass. It is light, fresh and sparkling and wonderful for warm summer evenings at the riverside...
Actually there is two types of pics in here.
Tpye 1 - is of tthe touristic standard sights I believe you deserve to see as well. Never having been a tourist in this town though, I do not have so many pics showing this side. I asked the Tourism Office if I could use some of their pics, they gave me the ok and so the "classic pics" in here are a mix of official and personal fotos It did take. That's why the sky seems always blue in Bremen ;-) I will try to replace more and more of the official pics with personal ones in the coming months.
Type 2 - Is of my picture tours through the mostly green parts of my town. The typical "Marsch Landscape" outside the city but still within the city borders was area for many of my shots I would like to show you, too. They are not really helpful when planning a trip, but are the cities other side through my eyes and lenses. Hope you enjoy them, too!
- Pros:Beautiful, openminded, relaxed, special flair
- Cons:It never rains in Southern California..." - Here it does :-)
- In a nutshell:Great place for living and for visiting
Being German Champion in 2004 (if you want to see some pics from the Championship parties look at my Werder Bremen... more travel advice
I did not really know if to put this under Must See or Tourist Traps. It just is definitely not a Off the beaten path... more travel advice
joernme's Related Pages
Bremen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bremen - I feel this city"
- "Bremen - the city of the musicians"
- "Bremen - A World Heritage site"
- "In Bremen - briefly"
- "Stadt and Bundesland"
- "Bremen - more to see than the Town Musicians!"
- "Home of Krauser Becks"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bremen
- Hotels in Bremen
- Transportation in Bremen
- Nightlife in Bremen
- Restaurants in Bremen
- Shopping in Bremen
- Warnings and Dangers in Bremen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bremen
- 28 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Bremen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bremen
- Posted in Travel Milan Forum "Cheap but quiet Accommodation in..."
- Commented on one of Bernd_L's Bremen travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Werder Bremen - Bundesliga Champion 2004 Part 2"
- created a Bremen Travelogue "Werder Bremen - Bundesliga Champion 2004 Part 2"
- Wrote a Review Welcome to Bremen, fans! in Bremen Sports & Outdoors
Photos in BremenSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremen Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Pedro de Atacama Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chile Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Estado Mérida Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Andalucía Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Mendoza Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Lauca Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Paris Intro, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Región Metropolitana de Santiago Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos