""Karnten is a Wahnsinn (Carinthia is a Madness)!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Bundesland Karnten by Anjutka
Bundesland Karnten Travel Guide: 507 reviews and 1,466 photos
"Karntn is a Wahnsinn" is a very popular slogan intended to promote tourism in the southernmost Austrian state. It refers to the wealth of beautiful landscapes and the sometimes more relaxed way of life as compared to other Austrian regions. It means the specific local narrow-mindedness concerning bi-lingual (German-Slovenian) roadsigns in areas where both ethnic communites are living (in the almost neighbouring South Tirol German-Italian roadsigns are everywhere and nobody is worrying about).
I was unfortunately only a very short time in this beautiful country but I had the chance to experience both the area around Austria's highest mountain Grossglockner (3800 m) and to swim in Austria`s warmest lake Faakersee, 25 degrees water temperature in late September. And both is only a three hours drive separated from each other.
I have chosen Kaernten as location for my page because half of the time in Kaernten I spent in the area of Grossglockner in the Hohe Tauern National Park enjoying the great Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse and a woderful scenic hike above the Pasterze glacier on the popular Gamsgrubenweg. See also the Fusch an der Glocknerstrasse page of my friend Lothar. And the other half I spent on the tiny warm Faakersee.
This road was not build to cover urgent transport needs - just as a luxury to provide a scenic drive by car through one of the most attractive landscapes of the Central Alps. And all this luxury was built under Austria's darkest economic period in the 1930ies when only a micro-minority in Austria could afford to drive an own car and to enjoy such a trip. One third of the population was unemployed and even those working for lousy salaries hardly could affford a bus ticket for the road.
From the Pasterze glacier (the name - as the vast majority of the topographic denominations in Kaernten - is of Slovenian origin) it is less than three comfortable hours drive to the warm lake Faaker See (it is said to be the warmest lake in Austria but many of the lakes around it are quite similar in temperature). It is the perfect contrast to the ice of the Glockner and its neighbours and it was great to swim in it with all the fresh memories of the great mountains almost nearby.
- Pros:High mountains and warm lakes in great harmony
- Cons:Narrow-minded stupidities around bi-lingual roadsigns...
- In a nutshell:A must to complete the picture of Austria
Carinthia was Slovenian speaking before the Bavarians came in the Middle Ages but the German language speakers were... more travel advice
We planned from the beginning an overnight sttop at the Glocknerstrasse simply because the traffic in the middle of the... more travel advice
Anjutka's Related Pages
Bundesland Karnten Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Everybody here is welcome!"
- ""Karnten is a Wahnsinn (Carinthia is a Madness)!!!"
- "Very near to Italy"
- "KARNTEN... THE GREEN"
- "Hiking tours in Kärnten"
- "Austrian Mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bundesland Karnten
- Hotels in Bundesland Karnten
- Transportation in Bundesland Karnten
- Nightlife in Bundesland Karnten
- Restaurants in Bundesland Karnten
- Shopping in Bundesland Karnten
- Warnings and Dangers in Bundesland Karnten
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bundesland Karnten
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Bundesland Karnten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bundesland Karnten
- updated a Bundesland Karnten Travel Page ""Karnten is a Wahnsinn (Carinthia is a Madness)!!!"
- Posted in Travel Finland Forum "RE: RE: How to come by Public..."
- Wrote a Review Stupid conflicts concerning bi-lingual roadsigns in Bundesland Karnten Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stupid conflicts concerning bi-lingual roadsigns"
Photos in Bundesland KarntenSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Graz Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krems an der Donau Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Finland Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Vipiteno Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petrozavodsk Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tula Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Meran Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (39)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Bundesland Karnten hotels
- Villach Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 242 Photos
- Klagenfurt Hotels
- 195 Reviews - 464 Photos
- Heiligenblut Hotels
- 51 Reviews - 87 Photos
- Millstatt Hotels
- 14 Hotels
- Weissensee Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 15 Photos
- Velden am Wörthersee Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 68 Photos
- Sankt Veit an der Glan Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 29 Photos
- Sankt Urban Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Sankt Martin am Techelsberg Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Sankt Kanzian Hotels
- 8 Hotels
- Sankt Johann Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Pörtschach am Wörthersee Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 25 Photos
- Ossiach Hotels
- 1 Review - 6 Photos
- Moosburg Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Maria Wörth Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 31 Photos