"Foula Isle" Top 5 Page for this destination Shetland by foulai
Shetland Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 469 photos
Foula is one of Britain's most remote inhabited islands. The crofting townships are situated in the narrow eastern coastal strip with the expanse of peat and moorland rising steeply to Foula's five dramatic peaks.The island lies approximately 20 miles to the west of shetland mainland.
Foula or Fughley Isle (old norse) means 'bird island'. Besides the hoards of breeding summer seabirds...Foula has the largest colony off breeding Great skuas (Bonxies). We have lived here for 17 months and recommend it to people who like to see nature that has been relatively untouched by man .
- Pros:Natural beauty , fresh air, birds galore,peaceful
- Cons:can be difficult to get to all year round ...but then thats part of the attraction
- In a nutshell:Foula is the finest place i have ever been or stayed.
Foula's coastline is made up of high , steep,sheer rocky cliffs that fall into the sea. The local people will all warn... more travel advice
A walk down the daal to the 'Sneck o da Smallie' on Foula is a must for all people who like adventure ,who dont mind a... more travel advice
foulai's Related Pages
Shetland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sea, sky, seals, seabirds, space and silence..."
- "Shetland Islands - History and Nature Together"
- "The Shetland Islands"
- "Shatland - a paradise for birdwatchers and hikers"
- "Foula Isle"
- "Ponies and Sheep but no Trees"
- "shetland islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shetland
- Hotels in Shetland
- Transportation in Shetland
- Nightlife in Shetland
- Restaurants in Shetland
- Shopping in Shetland
- Warnings and Dangers in Shetland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shetland
- 7 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Shetland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shetland
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shetland Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 2 reviews
- State of Jammu and Kashmir 1 review
No friends yet.