"Wat Phra That Lampang Luang" Top 5 Page for this destination Lampang by CyrilHH
Lampang Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 319 photos
Lampang is located about one hour southeast of Chiang Mai, and makes for a pleasant stop over on your way to Sukhothai.
I did not visit the town proper which is renowned for its horse-pulled carriages as the main means of transportation.
Wat Phra That Lampang Luang is located a bit afield, about 18km southwest from the town (but can't be missed from the main road thanks to good signposting). It is one of the nicest and most revered temple compounds in Northern Thailand and worth a visit due to its striking setting on a hilltop and its well preserved state. When I visited there was a religious ceremony going on which was accompanied by extremely loud music (?) and prayers (?) from loudspeakers.
The inside of the Wat is quite charming due to the nicely oxydized greenish copper Chedi, a wihan with beautiful, if faded, gold paintings on wood and an array of old buddhas, as well as a number of strange looking white clay buddha (?) statues that are the object of much veneration and offerings (pork heads, fruit and flowers, see pix in Tips section).
The naga serpent has special significance in Buddhism since it protected Buddha in his journeys.
This one was decorated with flowers on the occasion of a local festivity.
On this picture of the interior of Wihan Nam Tam you can see the exquisite gold ornaments on the columns and walls. The... more travel advice
Here you see a full view of the main Chedi which - as the name Phra That suggests - contains relics of the Lord... more travel advice
CyrilHH's Related Pages
Lampang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Apparently I have not been there!"
- "Wat Phra That Lampang Luang"
- "Lampang - City of Roosters & Carriages"
- "again in Lampang"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lampang
- Hotels in Lampang
- Transportation in Lampang
- Nightlife in Lampang
- Restaurants in Lampang
- Shopping in Lampang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lampang
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Lampang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lampang
- Posted in Travel India Forum "RE: RE: Travelmate Northern India..."
- updated a Lampang Travel Page "Wat Phra That Lampang Luang"
- Commented on one of pattayaraj's Lampang travel pages
- Wrote a Review Wat Phra That Lampang Luang - Wihan Nam Tam (2) in Lampang Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wat Phra That Lampang Luang - Wihan Nam Tam"
Top 10 Pages
- Puerto Ángel Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lampang Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phumi Banteay Srei Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Mexico Intro, 3 photos
- Peru Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 1 photo
- Mexico City Intro, 1 photo
- Krabi Intro, 1 photo