"Once is never enough..." Niagara Falls by aphrodyte
Niagara Falls Travel Guide: 1,442 reviews and 3,589 photos
...and I have had the pleasure of seeing it TWICE!
I remember the first time I saw Niagara Falls, (July 1998). We went to visit my aunt who lived in Toronto (more on Toronto later), and decided that since we would be in the "neighborhood" that we should go check out the Falls. So we headed out for a one week stay in Canada. Had we but known how great our trip would be, we would not have settled on one week! Niagara Falls is about 35 minutes away from Toronto following the QE Hwy (longer if you are following the speed limit, which I guess you should).
We had arrived around noon and events were already in progress. Our aunt, who has seen the Falls a million times, settled comfortably at a nearby casino. (she had later confessed that she had lost a lot of money that day, and we had jokingly said that perhaps she should have come with us, that way she would have not lost a single looney!)
We drove around for a bit and found parking somewhat near the information center (I was driving and I was on a mission!). The second time we visited we were able to get parking right across from the information center. We took out the "tote-a-kid" backpack (my daughter was a year and a half at the time), strapped her on me and we walked on the sidewalk parallel to the upper river. The excitement was there, you can just feel it.
And then it hit us...the VIEW!
We first saw the wall of mist dancing and swirling upwards. It curled and lightly sprayed our cheeks until it disappeared into the blue sky. The intense roar of gallons upon gallons of water sweeping over the brink and spilling forth onto the river below. And as if on cue...the sun boldly scattered its rays onto the water with a show of diamond-like intensity.
It was a very touching and moving moment...
HEY...we better get moving or we won't get to see the rest of the stuff! (The entourage are so slow...*grin*)
The picture above was taken from the Journey Behind the Falls viewing. It was very difficult for us to get a clear picture, because the spray from the falls was very attracted to our lens and we had to constantly wipe it off before a picture.
Shocking to believe but Niagara Falls extends far more than what the average person knows about this natural wonder. The more popular Canadian Falls (also called Horseshoe Falls) is accompanied by two others, the American Falls and the Bridal Veil Falls (seen here on the left).
Located on the New York side of the Gorge, between Prospect Point and Luna Island, the northwest facing American Falls has a crest width of about 950 feet. It is alson 180 feet tall which makes the American Falls slightly taller than it's Canadian counterpart.
Located between Luna Island and Goat Island is the Bridal Veil Falls. With a crestline of 56 feet it is the smallest of the three falls of Niagara.
Unlike the Canadian Falls, the American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls bedrock has continually eroded to the base of the falls giving a "river rapids" look. Geologists predict that eventually the American Falls will transform into a succession of descending rapids.
The Maid of the Mist boat tour was and is the hightlight of our Niagara Falls trip. Nightmare's Fear Factory would be a close second.
I don't recall any seats on the boat and I doubt that I would have wanted one. Depending on the season, they sometimes pack you on the boat like sardines. We went on a morning ride so we had some moving room.
- Pros:I cannot say enough about the air conditioned trams!
- Cons:Duty-free...no duty-free...duty-free...no duty-free
- In a nutshell:Despite the tourist and tourist traps...you can still have a zen-like moment with the nature.
Yes...I know! I should have known better! What could have been the perfect picture wound up being something not so... more travel advice
Yes...Yes...I am a Hard Rock Cafe T-Shirt collector. My very first shirt...Hard Rock San Antonio...since then...I have... more travel advice
aphrodyte's Related Pages
Niagara Falls Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Niagara Falls"
- "Niagara during Christmas time"
- "Niagara Falls"
- "Niagara Falls"
- "Niagara Falls - Canadian side"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Niagara Falls
- Hotels in Niagara Falls
- Transportation in Niagara Falls
- Nightlife in Niagara Falls
- Restaurants in Niagara Falls
- Shopping in Niagara Falls
- Warnings and Dangers in Niagara Falls
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Niagara Falls
- 9 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Niagara Falls?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niagara Falls
- Posted in Travel Kansas City Forum "Re: kc vs raytown vs indepence"
- Wrote a Review Wipe On...Wipe Off!! Water and Lenses Don't Mix! about Photography Tips in Niagara Falls Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wipe On...Wipe Off!! Water and Lenses Don't Mix!"
- created a Niagara Falls Travelogue "Getting All Misty Eyed!"
Photos in Niagara FallsSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 37 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Intro, 36 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Memphis Intro, 5 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Island Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Antonio Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos
- Nashville Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Winnipeg Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Spokane Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
Latest Niagara Falls hotel reviews
- Americana Resort And Spa
- 482 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Econo Lodge Near The Falls
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Best Western Fallsview
- 548 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Comfort Inn Fallsview
- 266 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Days Inn & Suites By the Falls
- 506 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Sterling Inn & Spa
- 823 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Days Inn Near The Falls
- 144 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Rodeway Inn Fallsview
- 257 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Bed of Roses Bed and Breakfast
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Parkway Motel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2012
- Blackstone Inn Motel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 19, 2013
- Villager Lodge Niagara Falls
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Lincoln Motor Inn - Fallsview
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 30, 2013
- Waldorf Motel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- AAAA Royal Motel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2010