"The Sinai" Top 5 Page for this destination Muhafazat Janub Sina' by TomorrowsAngel
Muhafazat Janub Sina' Travel Guide: 1,802 reviews and 3,765 photos
The South Sinai is one of the most spectacularly beautiful landscapes on the planet, some of which has in recent years been set aside as national parkland. The most famous of these parks (and in fact Egypt's first national park) is found at the far southern tip of the Sinai, where the desert peninsula of Ras Mohammed edges out into the Red Sea, its craggy plateau disintegrating into broad sand beaches or dropping off into brilliantly rich coral reefs. Heading northeast up the Aqaba coast, you pass through Sharm el Sheikh and Naama Bay, dive meccas that have in recent years become centers for a host of adventure and eco-tourism activities. The coastline here is steep and dramatic, as the rocky table of the Sinai plateau crumbles into the sea.
Beyond the wide, full basin of Naama Bay the road turns inland, entering the broad sandflow of the Wadi Kid, an extinct riverbed that wends its way down from the central mountains to the shoreline at the Nabq Managed Resource Protected Area. Further north still lies Dahab and then Abu Galum, the northernmost of the park system's protected areas. There the sharp granite peaks of the interior extend right to the edge of the Gulf of Aqaba, offering visitors a stunning glimpse of terrain more hospitable to Nubian Ibex than to casual human visitors.
These parks are comparatively young - Ras Mohammed was only established in 1983 - and they have been joined even more recently by the region surrounding St. Catherine Monastery. Encompassing Mount Sinai as well as a number of other attractions of the area, the park at St. Catherine's is perhaps the best example of the purpose and the need for the Sinai's protected areas. As tourism has grown in the region, so too has tourist waste and damage, and a few years ago such sublime sites as the top of Mount Sinai itself appeared to be sinking under the burden of careless visitors. Although the designation of these areas as national parks has afforded them some degree of protection, it is ultimately the care and consideration of each visitor that most contributes to the work of preserving the beauty and the wonder of the Sinai.
Mount Sinai, Mount Moses, or as the monks call it 'The Holy Peak', stands 2500m above sea level, the summit a 2-3 hour... more travel advice
The Monastery even has a small 10th or 11th century mosque which was probably built to appease the Islamic authorities... more travel advice
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Muhafazat Janub Sina' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Climbing the Holy Mountain"
- "The Sinai"
- "Climbing Up Mount Sinai"
- "Climbing Up Mt. Sinai At Night !"
- "Majestic Sunrise in Mt. Sinai"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Hotels in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Transportation in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Nightlife in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Restaurants in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Shopping in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Warnings and Dangers in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Muhafazat Janub Sina'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
Photos in Muhafazat Janub Sina'See All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos