"Egypt" Egypt by TomorrowsAngel
Egypt Travel Guide: 16,223 reviews and 41,642 photos
Since long before the birth of Christ, travellers have been drawn to Egypt with its pyramids, Sphinx, ancient Luxor and River Nile. It's not just the Pharaonic monuments either - it's the legacy of the Greeks and Romans, the churches and monasteries of the early Christians, and the overwhelming profusion of art and architecture accumulated from centuries of successive Islamic dynasties.
Modern Egypt is an amalgam of these legacies: mud-brick villages stand beside millennia-old ruins surrounded by buildings of steel and glass. Bedouins live in goatskin tents and farmers till the earth with the simple tools of their ancestors. Some townsfolk dress in long flowing robes, others in Levis and Nikes, and city traffic competes with donkey-drawn carts and wandering goats. Nowhere are these contrasts played out so colourfully as in Cairo, a massive city thronged with people and ringing to the sound of car horns, ghetto-blasters and muezzins summoning the faithful to prayer. Egypt is also a diver's dream dip, a trek across the sands on a camel or a long lazy punt down the Nile.
Me and one of my mates spent 2 weeks travelling around Egypt in September/October 2003.
The main places we visited were Cairo, Alexandria, Aswan, Abu Simbel, Luxor, Hurghada and St Katherines with a few extra day stops along the way.
My places in Egypt were: Dahab, Abu Simbel, and the Philae Temple.
Full country name: Arab Republic of Egypt
Area: 1,001,449 sq km
Population: 69.5 million
Capital city: Cairo
People: Berbers, Bedouins and Nubians
Religion: 94% Islam, 6% Christian
President: Mohammed Husni Mubarak
GDP: US$247 billion
GDP per head: US$3600
Annual growth: 5%
Major industries: Oil & gas, metals, tourism, agriculture (especially cotton) and Suez Canal revenues
Major trading partners: USA, EU, Middle East
TomorrowsAngel's Related Pages
Egypt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "EGYPT - DECODING THE PAST"
- "Egypt- "Welcome to Egypt, Where's my tip? ""
- "Small pieces of a beautiful dream"
- "Another point of view on history of Egypt"
- "Paul2001's Egypt Page"
- "Nile Cruise- experience the Pharaonic times &Sharm"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Egypt
- Hotels in Egypt
- Transportation in Egypt
- Nightlife in Egypt
- Restaurants in Egypt
- Shopping in Egypt
- Warnings and Dangers in Egypt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Egypt
- 52 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Egypt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Egypt
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arrowtown Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Invercargill Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos